1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't believe I'm asking this.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahBeth9394, Sep 21, 2011.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    i haven't had a male dog since I was a kid and I don't go inspecting dog junk. So I have to ask. When a male is neutered do they cut off the sack of marbles completely? There's a real nice redbone that is wandering around our house. It's in real good shape but..... it's tail has been docked so close there isn't even a stub and it's got no sack of marbles. He's real nice but there's no way our hound will accept him.

2. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I believe that just the marbles are removed and the actual sack just shrinks up. At least that's what my male doberman looks like and I know for sure he's neutered.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, the family jewels are gone once they're neutered! [​IMG]

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Yep, bits removed, sack remains. It can/does/will shrink over time.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I was a Registered Vet Tech for 10 years. They make an incision over his wee wee and pull out the doo dads through it. The sack stays intact but shrivels up after a while. So you won't see any sack or doo dads on a neutered dog. [​IMG]

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:That is so - have assisted with many. If this is an adult male & you don't see any....& with a docked tail you'd have that "lovely" view - then he's likely neutered.

A bit of trivia: There is a product called "neuticals". Yep! just what it sounds like - testical shaped implants that can be put in after a neuter so that the dog can still look intact. Show folk were freaking out that people would do this and try to show altered males. My office actually discussed it one day and all the vets and staff agreed that if an owner requested them...we wanted no part! [​IMG]

7. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    the testicular sac wil srhink over time how much will depend on the dog and age of neuter, ive seen some males looking "saggy, others youd have no idea testicles were ever there lol
    our male cocker is a "you never had them" kinda dog, from behind hes a girl...the only way to tell is turn him over lol

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Ok thanks. I felt like such a dingbat asking. But I questioned it because of the way his tail is docked. He's lucky to have one vertibrea past the curve of his rump. I don't know anyone who would dock that short. Made me wonder if whoever docked him took his marble bag as well. The rear view of this boy says "check out my bottom".

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG]

Sorry - just loving this thread and all the awesome lingo!!!!!!! I love BYC! [​IMG] It's a good question and you are awesome for asking! [​IMG]

10. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    We call Hank's his empty baggage. DGS 18 months old thinks they are there just for him to play with. He will walk behind Hank (boxer) holding on to Hank's baggage. Will be very glad when the baggage is gone. My yorkie's took about a year to go away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by