I can't believe it! It's alive! In spite of me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rizq, Sep 4, 2009.

1. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I can't believe I am about to admit what I have done. They say confession is good for the soul.

I had a Blue red OEGB sitting on nest of not-so-fresh serama eggs (mistake #1) with the possibility of a fresh OEGB egg or two. Well, it had been about three weeks or so (didn't write down date ... mistake #2) and some of the eggs were turning to a strange shade of grey-green. I decided it was time to pitch the eggs before the big stinky bang. I picked up the eggs one by one, held them up to the light, sniffed them, held them to my ear, and, against my better judgment, gently shook them. I know by now you think you know where this is going. No, they did not explode on me. I through them into the woods where they burst into a stinky mess. Tired of this dangerous game, I picked up the last two eggs, one distinctly green, and pitch them in the direction of the others (mistake #3).

My throw was short and they hit the fence. To my absolute horror, I hear distressed, screaming peeps. I hesitate for a moment, not sure I actually believe it, then move hesitantly to the fence, expecting a bloody mess and a dying, nearly full-term chick. Better luck than that. I found a fully formed, albeit very disoriented and distressed, chick. No blood in the membrane and the yolk fully absorbed. I went ahead and pulled the shell off, pretty sure after that trauma that it would not finish hatching on its own. Also pretty sure that there was no way it would live. I gave the chick to momma to dry and care for.

I went out this morning to turn out the free-rangers and water the flock, sure the poor little chick would be dead. I found a fully fluffed, healthy-appearing chick under momma hen. I encourage the two off the nest and helped the chick find a drink (first time mom was content to not move off the nest and was dying of thirst herself). The chick proceeded to investigate the chick starter while the hen made her momma noises.

I think I should call him miracle. I know, being just a day old, he is not out of the woods yet, but it is amazing that he survived my stupidity!

edited to add: Yes, I know about candling and know I am a moron!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Wow!!!!

3. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    what an amazing story....I vote naming the chick Miracle.
    This is an incredible story.

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I would have died of the guilts right there on the spot!

I through them into the woods where they burst into a stinky mess. Tired of this dangerous game, I picked up the last two eggs, one distinctly green, and pitch them in the direction of the others

I think this little baby is definately out of the woods. Maybe you should call it Woody! [​IMG] I keel myself!

Wow!​

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    You're not the only one that's made mistakes [​IMG] I'm so glad this one has a happy ending! [​IMG]

6. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    Oh your avatar....kind of goes with the story. LOL

7. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    That's so cool! You could name him "Miracle" if it's a boy, or how about "Destiny" if she's a hen? [​IMG] It certainly sounds like he/she was determined to survive!

8. Gloria's mom

Gloria's mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What an amazing beginning for the little one![​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Ouch~for you and the chick!

10. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps