I CANT BELIEVE IT!! my rooster drew blood from me! UPDATE: PG 3

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens44, Jan 31, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    My rooster Duke is 11 months old, Barred rock. Hes attacked me, But I beat him off with my slipper (was not wearing shoes) and they saterday he sprung in the air and knocked the glasses of my face, because I went after him for trying to attack me. Well today I went to to go pick up one of "MY" girls in back of the coop where he was hanging out with her, And he bit me! drew blood, SO I did what was in my instinced and gave him the beating of his life, Now everytime I walk in the coop he does his "predator call" and hides in the corner. (after his beating 20 mins ago I walked around holding him)

BUT WHAT GRITSTAR doesnt know if Ive been reading her BYC page in tips for naughty roosters [​IMG]

Anyone have other suggestions for a naughty rooster or tips to make him nicer BESIDE freezer camp [​IMG] hahaa I kind of need him for fertile eggs

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry, but a roo like that gets culled here.....sounds like it's time for soup.

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Spring is coming soon and people will be GIVING roosters away. Make soup or stew from the one you have and make another chicken owner *very* happy by taking a rooster off their hands in the spring.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If he knocked your glasses off, imagine what he would have done if you didn't wear them. From what I have heard roosters like this only get worse.You tried to make him nice again. Not all roosters can be reformed. They have to much of their natural instinct and it could get worse with spring coming. If I had a rooster like yours, I think I would have sent him to freezer camp when he drew blood. You don't want chicks from a human aggressive rooster. I'm sure there will be many roosters available with spring coming, and you could probably find a nice replacement from here.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Agreed with Katy. A rooster with aggressive tendencies should NOT be kept, as it is genetic. All you're doing is what the hatcheries do. .. Continue the aggressive behavior and spread it to other owners. [​IMG]

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Ya I guess you guys are right... Ive been trying to make it right with him for 3 months and within that three months hes attacked me 4 times. Ive beat the living tar out of him, ive flapped my arms/wings and did rooster behavior to show him im the boss, Ive walked around with him... I guess its time for him too go. Ok I dont kill chickens, But I dont have problems with people doing it. So ill give him to my moms friend she butchers roos, And tells me that if I have too many roos she'll take them. Beside I just hatched 4 chicks (red sex links) and Im pretty sure ones a roo. (they aare NOT a offspring from my roo) and I have 12 silver laced cochin eggs comming in the mail thurs or friday, Im bound to have another roo. So I guess its time for him to go atleast I tried.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My roosters get ONE chance.........

I beat them up pretty good after the first time they attack me. The next time, they get to know the grim reaper side of me.

Any young roosters that show even the least bit of aggression also get to know the mean side of me. That is my attempt to stop aggressive behavior.

And I agree with other posters, roosters that attack humans should NEVER be used for breeding.

8. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    I agree. Get rid of him now and and get you a rooster with a good disposition. Come spring there will be plenty of roos to choose from. I have seen the aggresive gene follow through.

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The next rooster you get should be easier to deal with because now you have experience with an aggressive rooster. It was for me. The first was the hardest for me to deal with. The more experience with problems in your flocks, the more knowledge you gain to help you further down your chicken journey. Good luck with whatever you choose and hope it works out for you [​IMG]

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ok Ill only put the silver laced cochin eggs in. I wont hatch the eggs. I just talked to my mom and she said we will go to her friends house sometime this week and drop him off. I already gave her 1 roo last spring since I already had a roo. The other roo I have her was a Barred rock, He was not with me long enough to show mean behavior. 2 where My flocks growing maybe ill keep 2 roos this spring a Red sex link and a Silver laced cochin?

Are red sex links and silver laced cochins known for mean behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by