I can't believe my chicken ate the end off of the thermometer!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mika4me, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    One of my chickens has apparently eaten the little glass bulb end off of the thermometer we had hanging in the henhouse. We found the thermometer on the floor early this morning and looked and looked and looked for the missing glass, but found nothing. Went through all of the bedding (with a flashlight, in the rain...) And then again in the daylight. After doing some checking, we found that they don't actually using mercury in most thermometers anymore (thank goodness). I checked on the girls every hour, all day, wondering if one of them was going to keel over from ingesting glass shards, but it's 12 hours later and everyone looks fine. I read somewhere that chickens are like goats in their ability to process the most unlikely and inedible objects... I guess so!!

2. Interesting to say the least. I would likewise keep an eye out. Your assesment that they will eat just about anything as a goat would, I also agree with. Except that is anything they "want" to eat. Picky chickens. [​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

somebody around here had a chicken eat a thumbtack not to long ago.. i actually need to find that post and see how it turned out. The general consensus from those with more experience than me is that the crop does a pretty good job of grinding down that kind of stuff and that chickens are pretty tough critters. Hope it all works its self out [​IMG]

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We got an automatic "weather station" for Christmas. The remote sensor is a box so nobody can eat it. We set it in one of the nesting boxes in a chicken house. Last night it must have fallen over and SOMEBODY was sitting on it, because it was 55 degrees under some chicken's butt!

deb g
    KY

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by