One of my chickens has apparently eaten the little glass bulb end off of the thermometer we had hanging in the henhouse. We found the thermometer on the floor early this morning and looked and looked and looked for the missing glass, but found nothing. Went through all of the bedding (with a flashlight, in the rain...) And then again in the daylight. After doing some checking, we found that they don't actually using mercury in most thermometers anymore (thank goodness). I checked on the girls every hour, all day, wondering if one of them was going to keel over from ingesting glass shards, but it's 12 hours later and everyone looks fine. I read somewhere that chickens are like goats in their ability to process the most unlikely and inedible objects... I guess so!!