I can't believe my chickie actually attacked me!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 28, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have 10 4 week old babies (I think it's 4 weeks...close enough). Anyway, I hatched these and there are 5 boys and 5 girls. All seem nice enough until tonight. I was doing the evening feeding and care and put my hand in the little brooder I have for them in the big chicken house. One of the boys came over and attacked my arm. I thought it was an accident (he is a BABY) so I gave them the food and put my hand back down close to him. He jumped on me and started biting me, scratching me, and even trying to spur me (like the little brat has even a bump, much less spurs). I was shocked and mad! I remembered something on here about re-training nasty roos. Couldn't remember what to do but it seemed like holding him upside down might be one option and I liked the idea at that time. So, we had a nice long talk....me standing there holding an upside down, irritated, hopefully humiliated, cockerel by the legs!!!! Hope it was the right choice? Now I need to find where it tells me all the stuff I need to do.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,, first off what the heck is "Canning Squirrel"?
    I had to laugh at this post because my mom called me this morning while I was having coffee at a local hangout. She had gone to my house to replace the jug of bleach she had borrowed from me and as she walked across the yard Blue Rooster, my gentle loving Blue,, came flying at her and attacked the jug of bleach. She said he wasn't attacking her, but the jug, so she set it down and he spent a good 5 minutes flogging the bleach and then walked away all ruffled up and so proud of himself for beating up the bleach jug.
    Blue has never attacked anything! Why the bleach jug?

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    "Why the bleach jug?"

Maybe he didn't like the brand!?
    [​IMG]

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks for the link. [​IMG] I will definitely read it all!!! That is too funny about the bleach! I understand though, I HATE bleach!!!!! As for "canning squirrel"....LOL that is my "special title". [​IMG] I got it for a thread I started on canning....I said I felt like a squirrel putting away food for the winter...and I got it. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ahhh that makes sense!! I'll have to watch it or I'll end up with one that isn't very nice,,
    I was just sitting here giggling picturing you holding the little roo upside down and saying "look kid,,, we gotta talk!"

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Yeah, I figured I was pretty lucky to get a NICE title. [​IMG]

That is pretty much exactly how it went!!!! Poor little guy. He looked so shocked!!!! I guess he found out I am a bigger bully than he is!!! LOL

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am so glad you posted this i have been looking for a page to deal with roosters. I have a temporary rooster for the time being that has been raised by another person until the three i have for my new chicks grow up. He isn't too bad of a rooster but i wanted to know what to do with him if he gets that way. Being that he is a Phoenix rooster he is hard to catch but if it needs to be done now i know what to do. Thank you for the link.

9. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    My roosters were so mean attacking me every time I went into to coop, they have now been re-homed!

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, I am in the process of re-homing 6 cockerels of varying ages. I kinda figure if he goes to a new home with that attitude he is definitely dinner. If I can make him nice first someone might keep him. [​IMG] Tonight he started to do it again. He jumped up on my arm with that look then he stopped. He looked up at me and sat down on my arm like "oh...I just came up to say hi". LOL It appears to have made an impression at least!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by