I can't believe she did that!!! What would you do?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I have a neighbor that gets anywhere from 15 – 20 dozen eggs at one time and I allow her to pay me when she can. Her entire family (brothers, sisters, etc.) all love farm fresh eggs and she gets eggs for them. She has been doing this for years with no problem. She always pays up. A few months ago, she told me that there is a feed store that sells “chicken feed” for $4.00 for a 50lb bag. She owned chickens before in the past and she fed her chickens this “feed”. She told me if I wanted her to pick up some feed for me, to let her know. I would always say ok but never asked her to pick up any feed. Well, a couple of weeks ago, she called and asked for 15 dozen eggs, so I brought it to her. As always, I collect the money later whenever she has the full payment (monies from brothers, sisters, etc.). As I was leaving, she asked would I like for her to buy some of the chicken feed. I told her ok and told her to get me A COUPLE of bags (2 bags). She said ok. I told her that she could deduct the 2 bags of feed from her bill. Her total bill at the time was $30.00 and the 2 bags of feed would have only been $8.00, thus leaving her owing $22.00.

Well on yesterday, she came over to my house and dropped off 10 bags of “feed”. I was not home but had a relative at my house, so my relative accepted the feed not knowing. When I got home, I noticed all of the feed and inquired about it. My relative told me that she brought all of the feed. The feed consisted of 9 (50lb) bags of “Grain Screening Pellets” and 1 (50lb) bag of laying pellets. I posted a question about this feed in another thread. You may view it here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=270336

Well, after reading the thread, I basically found out that I have 9 (50lb bags) of CRAP! So the question/problem is………. I did not ask for 10 bags of feed. I only told this person that I wanted to try 2 bags of feed. I have not talked to her and I am assuming that she thinks that since she purchased the 10 bags of feed that her bill is clear and her balance is ZERO ($0.00). Well……………, that is not the case. I did not ask for 10 bags of feed. I only asked for 2 bags and it was understood that I would deduct $8.00 from the $30.00 that she owes me.

I know I have to call her about the feed but I want to be prepared for anything she has to say. This is what I’m thinking………

#1 – She thinks her bill is clear and she doesn’t owe me anything being as though she bought so many bags of feed.

#2 – She may think that I owe her for ALL of the bags of feed.

#3 – What else could she possibly think?

So, my question is…..What should I do? How should I handle this? I’m VERY direct and to the point and can sometimes be taken as harsh and rude, so I want to get advice on how I should handle this problem before I blow things out of the ocean.

PS. I have known this lady all of my life. She is my deceased mother’s best friend.

Just nicely tell her
'Oh.. This is not what I ment. I do not feed my chickens this for X reasons. If you could just please send me over the receipt I will go get the correct feed.'

I say let it go..shes been a faithful customer for many years..AND...you didnt ask exactly what feed it was, did you? If you had asked and knew what you were getting, you would have told her no. So.... let it go..lesson learned...when she askes if you want any feed again, just say no thanks!
wink.png

Last edited:
Is there a possibility you could return the bags of feed to the feed store (many stores will allow returns even without a receipt) and then the amount of money you end up with might be close to the amount she originally owed you? Then, next time you see her you could explain that the feed was not an appropriate diet for your chickens and you don't need her to get any more.

I'd talk to her about it....especially since you said 2, not 10 bags of feed. Maybe it's time she collects for the eggs she wants prior to coming to get eggs from you so she can pay when she gets them.

Sometimes a 'COUPLE' does mean more than 2 to some people.
I always use numbers instead of 'a couple' 'a few'..
Cause I honestly never know what people mean either.

I would take the "feed" back, (except for the 2 bags) and ask for the money for the eggs. Then not extend credit anymore.

I think since you allowed her to talk you into this, more or less, you're stuck with the results, even if you asked for two bags and got ten.

I'd say your best solution is to write off her tab in exchange for the feed, and consider it a lesson learned and perhaps a friendship saved. Hopefully her intent was that the feed covered her tab, and she's not expecting any more from you for it. The next time she offers to pick up feed, politely tell her that you're going to stick to your original feeding plan.

Not sure how many birds you have. Perhaps if you sink some money into a high quality scratch and mix this stuff in with a good scratch, perhaps you can salvage a little value out of this. That feed you listed is basically bulk and minimal nutrition.

Maybe she missheard you? Maybe, maybe not
hu.gif

Have you contacted the feed store to see if you can return all the feed. Maybe explain to them that there was a misscommunication and you are afraid of embarassing your neighbor so you thought maybe you could bring the feed back yourself. Get your refund and call it a wash. Even though you are going through all the trouble.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom