I Can't Believe the size of this Coturnix Egg!! and 1 Neat One...

The Critter Place

Songster
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson, Az.
One of the girls put in some overtime on this one!
ep.gif
I would expect to find one grumpy hen, but haven't.
gig.gif

You should have seen the look on Hubby's face when he saw this!
lau.gif

I am so tempted to put it in the bator, but I just started a batch 2 days ago. :-(

100_6324.jpg

100_6326.jpg

And here's a really neat one that was in my order this week from Quaillady. It was in the Tibetan and Rosetta eggs. I don't know if that has anything to do with the pattern or not. Now if we could just find a way to get these colored other than brown, we'd have it made for Easter. lol...

100_6278.jpg

100_6273.jpg

100_6279.jpg

100_6272.jpg

The quail can tend to surprise you sometimes with their eggs. Sometimes we'll get a solid creme colored egg or almost black.However I've learned from a professional Coturnix developer that when you get the real dark almost black ones,they have too much feces mixed in the shell and even if the egg hatches,it doesn't survive or thrive. Our Jumbo browns always produce an extra large egg.Usually about the size of my silkie eggs.
Good luck on your hatch!
58523_dscf8194.jpg
58523_dscf8205.jpg

I have not heard anything good about trying to hatch abnormally large eggs. since most are double yolk both checks will form but there is not enough room so they just die. are usually just use them for eating because the bigger eggs always make nice little sandwiches

My issue is that some of my jumbos lay large eggs and they are single yolks. Now I did find an egg the size of a bantam egg and that was too scary to incubate! Lol

Quote:
Hi Tanichaca,
Good too see a Fellow low Arizonan.
cool.png

You should see a whole incubator full ! These eggs are so neat and so many patterns. Button Quail too.

Quaillady,

That's neat she lays the same as her mom! Especially with so many patterns with Coturnix eggs!

I'm almost afraid to go see what the left me today.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom