I can't believe they ate the WHOLE thing!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marcymom3, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. This morning I put the carcass of an almost gone rotisserie chicken in the chickens' pen. When I got home there was not a shred or bone left. I couldn't believe it! Can they really break up those bones?? I hope they just scratched them into the sand and shavings in the run!

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I doubt they ate the bones. It could be scattered in pieces or something else carted the bones off.

3. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    My chickens love it when I leave left-over rotisserie chicken for them. I usually get more eggs a few days later. It is a treat and not their main source of food.

4. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Madamwlf, I don't think anything else could get into the pen without leaving a sign. I bet they worked it into the dirt. But I'm pretty sure my dog would have loved to have the opportunity to get in there for some. [​IMG]

Fastbassetvineyards, I hope I have the same luck. They have access to layer feed 24/7, get BOSS in the morning, and a little scratch in the evening. They range the yard for about an hour but head for the coop when it starts getting dark. Do yours eat "everything"??

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I usually find the bones scattered throughout their yard. some are harder to see when the bones are covered in dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by