I can't believe what happened today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mbleily, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I am was so surprised........I have these 11 week old chicks that have all been together from the start. I put them out in the hen house about three weeks ago. They have been fun to watch grow and the relationships they have with each other. I have only one Delaware that has been very friendly and lets me pick her up. She almost insists on me picking her up. LOL I have been giving them weeds out of the garden and they have become used to it so when I get close to the pen they all come running expecting some good greens to eat.

I also have 6 Australorps that are now 6 weeks old and I partentioned off the house to hold them until I think they will not get beat up by the others. The older ones were really curious about them and one rooster even coasted one of the little ones over and pecked at him. A black hen that I think now is a Jersey Giant pecked the rooster and ran him out of the house. LOL I thought that was pretty cute..........but that isn't what really surprised me...

Today I picked a bunch of weeds and through them in and the older ones were chowing down. I watched them as I usually do and they almost had the weeds all gone when Sissy, the Delaware picked up a stem with a bunch of leaves on it and took it in the house. No one has ever done that before so I went to see what she was up to. She went over to the partition of the little ones and put the bunch down and talked a little and picked it pack up and put it down. I was really floored. She is just a chick her self but she was acting like a mama hen. Clucking at the babies. I picked it up and broke it up and gave it to the little ones and they were running around like crazy eating it.

I guess I am just a proud mother but I thought that was really something to see. LOL

2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    awesome story!! I have seen my girls commutate with each other and of course the pecking order establish it self. Nobody believes me I think when I tell them my girls talk to each other. Have fun with your babies!! Sounds like you already are!!![​IMG]

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    wow! see people totally underestimate chickens

4. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:It was really funny when I put the little ones out in the house........they have only been out there with the others for two days now. I moved the older ones out and closed off the door so I could put the little ones in the partitioned area. I got them all set up and then opened the door. I moved out into the yard so the others could go in... I could hear this soft talking of the older ones so I looked in. they were all lined up looking through the fence at the little one and all talking to each other. It was such a cute thing to see. I wish I had had my camera. They stood and talked back and forth for a while and then moved off and started eating and doing their normal thing. It amazed me. I love my chickens but I always thought they were not really very smart. I think differently now. LOL

5. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I was one of the people that underestimated them. But no longer. They are something else!

6. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    I too have had a somewhat interesting story about how early a pullet has those mama instincts.
    I got a 4 week old barred rock pullet through freecycle. I know not to have only one chicken at a time so I went to one of the local feed stores & bought 2 day old chicks. I got a soft cloth & rubbed the older chick then rubbed the new babies to get the older ones scent onto them. Almost immediately upon putting them together the 2 little ones went to the BR and went right under her wings & belly. I watched as she let them be under her and whenever I reached in to pick one up they hid under the BR. I had one of the babies die at day 5 but the other baby, a NHR is thriving. If I pick up the BR the NHR has a fit & runs back & forth making frantic noises until I put the BR back down.

I had no idea that a pullet would show such mothering skills at only 4 weeks.

I have named them 'lil mama and Sassy.
    The weather here has been so lousy I haven't been able to let them out onto the lawn until today. Sassy was under 'lil mamma and would not venture out on her own. It was so sweet to watch.

I do have 8 other chickens who free range in my yard which is about 140' x 80'.

7. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    HenniePennie,
    That is really interesting. Also really cute. I had no idea that they would do that that young. I would have loved to seen a picture of yours. That would be something to see. [​IMG]

8. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    When we brought home our 2nd batch of feed store chicks, who were 2 weeks younger than my other 2 chicks, they all got along great right from the start. One of the 3 we brought home was so much smaller than the rest, and the older chicks took to watching after her, and when they would all cuddle up at night to go to sleep, the little one would usually be found under the pile made by the other 4. Not really mothering, but more like big sisters!! So cute!

9. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I kind of what thinking that way too.......about the older sibling looking after the younger ones. But is still has a mothering attitude about it. It happens in people too. When they kids are out and bout together it is usually an older sister that will look after the younger ones and keep then safe.

I never tire of watching and learning about chickens. LOL It is just so relaxing to go out and sit in the pen with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by