I can't decide!!!! =(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Dec 3, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Now I have too many chickens and only 2 coops.... bf said NO MORE COOPS! LoL... so do I keep all my random mismatched pullets or do I dedicate one coop to my purebred flock and one to my project flock... ?

whhhaaaaa!!! [​IMG]

LoL

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I would go one purebred, one project.

3. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Keep all the pullets and your two best pure roos. Breed from them both pure and new mixes and eat the rest.

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:I second this. Although I am struggling with trying to trim the roos in my own flock as one sings to me all day, one is a REALLY good Rooster and the other just looks pretty- none of these three are the pure breed that I wish to keep so very soon they will be going into their own coop or a breeding pen so I can see off spring before freezer camp. It will be a sad day when they don't sing to me all day!

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Depends on what you are trying to do with your flocks. If you are aiming towards showing or breeding then keeping the purebreds makes more sense than keeping the best egg-laying mutts regardless of how great the mutts may be.

My flock is primarily an egg producing flock, so I care nothing about lineage and only about the ability to produce eggs. I also like a certain amount of living yard art wandering around, so I have quite a bit of variation in my flock. My birds can all be mutts, as long as they look pretty and lay well they can stay.

You need to figure out what your long-term goals are with your birds and then make your decision based on that. Good luck.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Haven't read all the posting but I have one coop for my purebred Dels. The other houses a mix of breeds. Two or three of different breeds. Now if you can keep a house for roos you could always put you hens from the mix in with the roo of it's breed to hatch more of that breed which is what I intend to do. Of course it means keeping more roos. Or buying new chicks of the breed your not breeding.

Right now I'd like to replace two BO's (though one is nice) GLW's , DOM , and CM's. Of course If you are going to breed you'll need to keep more than one roo anyhow.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I didn't think it would be an issue having a non-purebred flock, so I got some extra's to throw in with them for egg laying, but then all of a sudden I've been selling a TON of "purebred" hatching eggs, now I can't do that if they are mixed, and I wouldn't know how to tell one egg from another.

My projects are 1. SLW egg flock 2. SLW crossed with Cornish. I have no desire to have the best of the best or show, ours are for utilitarian purposes.

The second pen has all the babies in it now, but I built that for my meatie cross project I've already started on...

So that leaves all the little random breed ones with no place to go... lol.

8. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    Looks like from your website you have plenty of room for more roosting. get more wood? Roos will seperate their hens outdoors and get along enough inside. You just need more perching space. They only need afew square feet each if they have all that space outside.

9. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    Oh I see I think?, I'd go one pure (big one) and have to make a choise or split the house and yard for projects.

Quote:

10. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    We all have that problem.[​IMG] I think you can tell after a while what the different eggs looks like. If you can't after a while than you will needs a solution but that is still months away.[​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by