I can't do this right? Silkie question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Mar 23, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    First off, the ONLY reason I'm even considering this is because I want a chicken - just ONE chicken that will go broody when the wind blows.
    So...I couldn't get say two silkie hens and expect them to be able to live in peace with my bruisers aka LF brahmas right? Especially not with my 13 lb. overly...shall we say affectionate...roo right?

2. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    I would go with standard cochins for broodiness. I'm afraid the brahmas woujld crush the little silkies.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I agree...

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    grit, I have my silkies in with my 13 lb. Cochin hen and my Langshan cockerel. So far there are NO issues whatsoever!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My silkies are tough. I know everyone says that they are low on the totem pole, but mine are top girls. They are ferocious to the other hens. (Both are sweet as pie to me though.) When the banties and LF all ran together the silkies were still top of the heap. Dunno. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    My silkie tells my dogs what to do!

If she wants their food... they step aside. They knows who's boss!

(She is terrified of other chicken though...)

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My buff brahma hen Lilith walked right up to my wolfhound today and took a piece of bread out of the poor dog's mouth. Sounds like the silkies would fit right in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by