I can't even sell eggs.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TammyTX, Oct 11, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    for ONE dollar???!!! What the heck?

I've had a sign at the end of my driveway for two days now. The gate has been open and NOT ONE PERSON has come to buy eggs.

I don't get it. I have the eggs priced at $2 dozen and culls for $1. There is nothing wrong with the culls they are just the smaller eggs that I don't feel right charging $2 a dozen for.

You should see my fridge....there are 20 dozen eggs in there!

With the cold snap and rain this weekend the girls have slowed down on egg production. I only had 14 yesterday and about 20 today. I guess I should start making Angelfood cakes...or something.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine don't sell at my house. They do sell at work and through word of mouth. Can you check with a local fruit stand or small grocery or something? Perhaps you'd have more luck with a regular customer. Have you put flyers up or advertised on Craigslist or something? You are kind of limiting yourself by only relying on the people that drive by and think to stop.

I sell mine for $3 for LF eggs and $2 for banties. My girls are in a molt right now so I'm not getting any, but I have a couple of dozen promised. Plus, if they don't sell by the time I go see my parents, I take them all there. Between sales, my use and my family's use, I can usually keep the fridge empty.

Good luck! I know it's frustrating.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Try selling them through the local farmer's market or feedstore.

As much as I like farm fresh eggs, I won't go to someone's house and buy them. Just feels like tresspassing unless they are in their yard and waving us in. [​IMG]

If the eggs begin to spoil, boil them, mash them into a crumble and feed them back to the birds. I do this with my eggs that are starting to "float".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Tammy - I hear ya! I couldn't sell them at a flea market for a buck! Sheesh! [​IMG] I'm working on signs for the driveway and if I don't start selling then I'll just be giving them away! [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, mine wouldn't sell if I had a sign up at the house, but I can sell more than I have available just letting friends know that I have them. Word of mouth works great for me.

6. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have sold some at work. Actually, the cleaning lady is my best customer which is ironic considering the people I work with all make very good salaries.

I had one person at work who complained that I charged too much at $2.50 doz. That person (whom I like) also boards horses on the side. I explained to her that anyone can board a horse but to do it right costs money and it was the same with chickens.

Yes, I have been feeding them back to my chickens and they love it, but I would like to at least get feed money out of them.

Thanks!

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Some ppl are weary of buying fresh eggs...so that could be another problem.

8. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    I wish I lived closer because we can't find any of our eggs! Theres a hidden nest somewhere....

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you have kids? Try going once a week to your child's school and selling to the teachers. Make it a regular "egg day".

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I started at my kids school, ceramic class and a sign at my driveway. 6 years ago. now I have a waiting list and have not had the sign out for 3 years. the local credit union take 14 doz at a time. give it time and tell people you have them. if you have a computer put an ad on craigslist. unless you live on a busy road you will need more than a sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by