I can't figure it out... can you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaneHill, Mar 22, 2011.

1. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    Can anyone help me figure out what I've got here? Even the local 4H Poultry leader has no ideas.
    Honestly, he/she came from a pullet bin at the local feed store, but at the moment looks absolutely nothing like the others (except of course for the being a chicken part)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for the help

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If she has a single comb, she could be a Delaware pullet. They go through lots of changes with their color and most start out "smutty", then it clears out over time.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I'm guessing a leghorn mix. I've have a few that look identical to your bird.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. speckledhen

Here is why I say Delaware. Meet Tasha, though she's older now. Lots of Del chicks have been raised here.

[​IMG]

5. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:After seeing your pic, I can totally see Del:)

6. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Don't know what the breed standard is for delawares but that chick pic has white legs and the chicks in question appear to have yellow. I would say they are some sort of cross breed?? [​IMG]

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

it came from a local feed store so its most likely a hatchery chick. so I can easily easily see the deleware. Also the yellow VS whitish, the OP's pictures are very yellow quality, and so I can't say if the chicks legs are pale or yellow.

I'd go with SpeckledHen and say Deleware.

8. speckledhen

Some Delawares have pale yellow that becomes brighter as they get older--Tasha is one of those. She has yellow legs as you can see in the first pic below taken at 9 weeks old. Was trying to get some other Del pullet pics to show you, but at the moment, can't seem to locate the ones I wanted. Here's one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Thats what I was thinking!

10. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    Hi Everyone
    Sorry for the delay in response, I put the little ones to bed, sat down to relax for a few minutes, & lol promptly fell asleep

Yes, the legs are yellowish & the pictures made it even darker because of poor lighting.
    (still learning how to use this forum, so please excuse the lack of names here, but)
    I have to admit that picture does look very, very much like it!
    I suppose I'll have to wait until it's fully grown for sure, but at least I know it's a toss up between a cross breed & a Delaware [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for the help [​IMG]

ps beautiful pictures btw! Lovely Girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by