I cant figure out what happened :( please give your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ilovesilkies09, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Ilovesilkies09

Ilovesilkies09 New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    I was delighted to see a couple weeks ago that my best brooder was ready to set. (Four year old black silky). I have been wanting to raise some black jersey giants and had gotten fertile eggs from a friend. Everything was great with my hen and her three eggs for about two weeks. Then without warning she abandoned the nest and the jersey eggs were lost, so not like her! But I figured "it happens" and would try again in the summer. Well two days ago my little silky girl was found dead on her nest. So now my best girl is gone for no apparent reason. She was eating and was not egg bound. She seemed fine. What could have happened? Any ideas?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I wish I had the answer. [​IMG] I've had similar happen to me in the past too. Sometimes, it just happens I guess. [​IMG]

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sorry you lost your little Silkie [​IMG] I don't know what could have caused it. Maybe it was just her time. [​IMG]

4. Ilovesilkies09

Ilovesilkies09 New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    I just don't understand what could have happened. I feel bad because I should have known something was not right when she abandoned her eggs. This hen was a silky mommy threw and threw. She tried setting in December once that's how broody she was. Plus she died on the nest. I have never had a girl die on the nest.

5. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss but thats just the cycle of a chickens life they go with no reason or warning [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So sorry.

Maybe she was on the nest not because she was broody but because she didn't feel good. Maybe a necropsy would have found a cancer or heart problem or something.

7. Ilovesilkies09

Ilovesilkies09 New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    That's a interesting idea but I am sure she was broody. She growled and puffed up when you got near her and she was turning the eggs. She would get off the nest to eat and drink and then get back on carefully arranging the eggs under her. The eggs were developing nicely so I know she was setting.

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I thought perhaps may be the weather played an issue (heat) but if your weather is anything like mine, it's definitely not a heat issue. Perhaps she was dehydrated and got off to regenerate herself but was to dehydrated to do soo? you said she was eating but perhaps that's all she was doing and not drinking. 2 weeks is a long time for a silkie to not take the time to drink? I know silkies are dedicated mommies, when they want kids they stay put.... but for her to get off then two days dead. Hummm perhaps the change of weather affected her? We have been having crazy weather here in OHio first its cold then its warm then it's raining, then its snowing, then back to warm...

Perhaps between being sick with the change of weather and being dehydrated it all kicked at once. I can't think of any other reasons, because usually silkies just don't do that...

I wish I could of helped more, soo sorry about your lost....

9. Ilovesilkies09

Ilovesilkies09 New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    I should have posted that the eggs were lost over a week ago. I actually kept a water dish near her just in case because sometimes she would refuse to leave the nest like you said. I guess she was just sick and hiding it.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    that's a real shame, silkies are so great when it comes to taken care of someone else's eggs. ha ha, again so sorry for your lost..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by