I can't figure out what happened?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by benzarzen, Aug 14, 2013.

1. benzarzen

benzarzen New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Hello, I'm 15 and my mom gave me four baby chicks. Recently they've been starting to get bigger and really jumpy in a big bird cage that I've put them in (it's like a 10 feet by 10 feet box). So, I put them outside in my backyard, but after a couple days the smallest chick (7 weeks old I think) has went missing. I couldn't find her anywhere and after closer inspection, I found a couple holes she could have slipped through. I don't think this is the case though, because they always stick really close together. So I kept on looking and I spotted a rat on the fence. It wasn't very big, maybe 3-4 inches at max. I've never seen one near our house before and I was wondering if they're interested in eating chicks. I hope this isn't the case but I'm dying to have a response. Would the chicken run away or is it possible a predator killed her? I've looked everywhere (I spent a good 6 hours looking this afternoon) but I can't find any signs of struggle or her body, or any trace.

2. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Rats WILL eat chicks! You're going to have to do something there for sure.

3. benzarzen

benzarzen New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply! I don't think we have rats in our house (but it's a possibility of course). What would be the best method to get rid of them? Killing them is the standard treatment I'm guessing? I think I have rat traps somewhere in the house but I don't know if that's sufficient.

4. benzarzen

benzarzen New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Is it possible the bird would run away though? They usually stick so close.

5. muddyfeathers

muddyfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    If you google "rat trap using bucket" you will see the best rat trap I've ever used. Very simple to build as well.

Its important to put water in the bucket when dealing with rats because they can jump right out of the bucket if you don't, with mice you can go either way.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by