I can't figure out what is going on

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by patti17340, Mar 7, 2013.

1. patti17340

patti17340 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    OK.. I hope I picked the right place to post this.. I do not think my chicken is sick, or has a pest.. I am hoping it is just molting so I feel this is a managing question.. I have never seen a molting chicken so I have no idea what it look likes.. My littlest hen started loosing feathers on her chest about 8 weeks ago.. Started as a quater size and now her whole neck is bare and it starting to go down her chest...Last week I noticed one of the others is now loosing feathers on her chest too.. The other 2 seem to be find..They are eatting and drinking fine.. I have 4 hens .. I have gotten 2 to 3 eggs everyday all winter.. they are just 2 years old.. this week I have been getting 3 eggs each day.. I see no sign of lice or bugs.. no open areas .. The chicken house is clean.. Should I be worried about anything.. I can take a picture and post it tomorrow if that would help. Thanks for taking the time to help me out..patti

2. jed2012

jed2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    hmm.... maybe pecking order problems? [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If it the feathers are gone from an area and the rest of the feathers on hen look fine, then it most likely feather plucking by the other hen(s). It is either boredom or to low protein in their diet.

4. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    that's grotey -_-

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    How old is your hen? Two of my girls have been going through a mini-molt that began in January. Mine aren't quite a year old. Both lost feathers most obviously around their neck area and around their butts. The one girl has recovered, her new feathers have come in and she's begun to lay again. The second girl is just getting her neck feathers back and hasn't resumed laying. The combs on both my hens shriveled and became pale as they were going through this molt.

Wondering how old your gals are and if you noticed a change in their combs. Also - I watched my girls and one WAS eating feathers! She was molting as she did this so I upped her protein and she stopped the feather eating. I added BOSS and meat to their diet for a while and that seemed to help. I also got them a flock block so that they'd have something else to pick at instead of each other and that helped, too.

6. patti17340

patti17340 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    Ok I put my hens out in the yard and watched them for 4 hours last Saturday.. no pecking they never in bothered with each other.. So I went with the mite or lice route.. Had my DH clean out the house and spray it down.. He was planning on doing it in a couple of weeks , he was not a happy camper...I powdered all 4 of them down with Servin.. and put some in the house...they are looking better.. I will powder them again next wk.. I chalked this up to a learning experience.. next winter they will be powdered down at least once a month... I just got my moveable electric fence so they will be able to free range to a limit on the weekends when I am at the house..

7. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    all my chickens' 3 age groups are 10 mos. , 1 year, and in june, my oldest group will be 2 years old. and also, none of this has ever happened to any of my chickens except the pecking and eating feathers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. 2 years is when they begin to molt. I would geuss they are just molting.
    Good Luck!

9. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    [​IMG]

10. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    gulp!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by