I CAN'T FIND STANDARD COCHINS FOR SALE

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by JOSHSBANTAMS, Jan 24, 2009.

1. JOSHSBANTAMS

JOSHSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Utah
    Hello everyone. [​IMG]
    I’m looking for some great quality Standard Cochins. The more I’ve looked into raising them, the more I see that they’re becoming more of a rarity. There doesn’t seem to be very many breeders out there. I have been able to talk with a couple of people and no one has anything available. If anyone has any they would like to sell me and ship to Utah, let me know.

2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

I do not know how many you are looking for but Murray McMurray has standard cochins but you have to order 25 total. Another option is Cackle Hatchery out of MO, you only have to order 15 from them. Hope this helps.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Superior Farms has some EXCELLENT quality cochins and should have some eggs/chicks available this spring!

http://superiorfarms.net

I know what you're thinking..."but it's a hatchery!"

Just look at this, albeit poor, photo of a Cochin hen from there:
    [​IMG]

4. JOSHSBANTAMS

Oct 26, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for the info. I was trying to stay away from the hatcheries if at all possible. I've heard that there is a big difference in the birds size compared to show breeders birds.
    I might have to go with a hatchery if I can't find anyone else.

[​IMG]

5. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Im thinking about ordering some from superior farms. I know its a hatchery but i heard the owner went to poultry shows and breeders who were selling out and bought most of his stock from them so if you buy from a hatchery i would buy form them. But thats just me. Hope it helped

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hun...these birds are NOT small by any means. In fact they went to the Shawnee Poultry show (over 2800 EXCELLENT birds) and won Reserve Champion Asiatic.

A white cochin of theirs won Best of Breed (out of all whites, blacks, blues and partridge cochins) overall which was about 30 cochins.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Supirior farms has show quality birds they are the exception to the rule about hatchery quality birds these birds are great quality I have heard

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I got mine from chickenlady here on byc. Beautiful birds!

[​IMG]

9. JOSHSBANTAMS

Oct 26, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for all the help. I think I might have to try Superiorfarms. I really don’t want to have to buy 25 chicks but if that’s what it will take to get them then that’s what I’ll have to do.

1mommahen your girls there are very pretty. I’m jealous.

10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I am in the same boat! I found one only to have a hawk kill her the second day I had her! We had never had hawk trouble before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by