I can't get my chickens to drink!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimz1, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I've got 2 one quart plastic waterers that the chickens have had since they were 2 days old. I put them in thier run and they drink out of them with no problem. I wanted to put more water in there so I cut down a milk jug and filled it up and put it in the run. They don't even touch it. How do I get them to drink out of something they aren't used to? I screwed up when I made the run, and didn't make a door, so it isn't very easy to change the waterers.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How old are they? I put a 10g clear bin in my chicken's run. I can easily fill it with a hose, no need to go in. If yours are small or young, use a shallow bin. No need to make a special waterer for most.

3. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    They are about 2 months old. Are you talking about the bins that you can get from Walmart or other places?

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine have a chicken waterer inside their coop, but outside, we just fill up a pan, dump it every day or when it get's soiled and refill it, just put a pan in the run, and run the hose through to fill it...they will find it fine. If they are very young, make it a shallow pan so they don't drown in it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Have you tried popping their beaks in it? we sometime have to try this method with stubborn chicks.

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I agree. If it is new, they might just not notice that there is water in it and need ot be shown. Once you introduce them tot he water source, they should drink if they are thirsty.

7. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    They will get used to it and will be drinking from it in no time, no worries.

8. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Quote:I had to do that when we moved the 8 week old chicks into the coop. They didn't realize what the new waterer was until I dipped their beaks.

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I always tap on new waterers to get thier attention and then they find it. They should get use to it soon [​IMG]

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is funny Pinky. I do that for anything I want them to notice. They never seem to notice things until I touch them or shake them and then all of a sudden, they see it like it had never been there before. Such funny little animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by