I cant get rid of cocci!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheHappyHen21, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    It is very depressing... I noticed one maran hen awhile ago with bloody poop so i treated everyone like how i read your saposs to. Now like a week after treatment i notice in a diffent chicken pen a glob of bloody poop. Everyone acts normal.so i started it again today... It is so depressing as i sell chicks and fertile eggs:'( i dont know what to do

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry about your predicament. Sounds like the first round of treatment did some good. Hope this second one does the trick. Hang in there. :hugs

3. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Sometimes for whatever reason certain birds have trouble building imunity to it and it can take several treatments before they finally get over it, frustrating I know, sometimes treating with a severe outbreak dose for seven days then follow that with the maitanance dose for two more weeks works best at least it did for my birds

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop?
    What treatment dose did you use?

5. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny

I dont have photos yet as i was rushing this morning for work. It was splat poop with red blood. Here are pics i found online what it looks like that im seeing. I woke up this morning, went out to feed and water and i found 3 splats like this. I was devastated. I think i might try Sulmet. I have a large bottle of it and worked great on my goat kids. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Just some advise....Totally clean your coop and run...Keep it dry...Give the meds and it should all clear up...

Good luck

7. D SCHWARTZ 26

D SCHWARTZ 26 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2016
    How do you clean your coop to get rid of Cossi???

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is impossible to disinfect a coop. Coccidia are in the soil and in the droppings of most chickens to some extent. As they grow, they will usually build up a tolerance to cocci in the soil anywhere from 11-20 weeks of age, unless there is a problem with immunity or a new strain is introduced from other soil. Usually, stirring the bedding often to keep it dry, changing it when it gets really dirty, and then adding new bedding can help. A vet can do a fecal test on several fresh droppings collected, to look for coccidia or worms. Corid (amprollium) used in the water for 7 days is a common treatment for an outbreak. Other medicines used are sulfa antibiotics and toltrazuril, especially in other countries. Symptoms to look for are sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, or diarrhea with mucus or sometimes blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by