I cant get the humidity down!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heathersboers, Dec 11, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Using a lil giant bator and just put eggs in lockdown- humidity is 70!!! Barely any water in the bottom and both plugs out. What else can I do to get it lower- I dont want them to drown...

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    70% is not horrible, most people actually lockdown at 75%. Personally I have had better luck with 60% at lockdown. I do not think you are going to really have a problem at 70%. You can open the incubator for just a second, I know it is a big no no but I have done it before to get temp down/humidity down, just do not leave it open for any extended period of time. Usually just pop a viewing window open for a few seconds and that seems to fix it.

edited for spelling/mistyped words.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    BIG SIGH--- Thank you !!!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah you are good! [​IMG] Now if it gets to 35% freak out. Did you calibrate the hygrometer first?

5. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Wish mine would stay on the higher end. On lockdown with mine I add water to all resevoirs and 2 sponges to achieve 60% and still end up with a syringe and tubing in the vent hole putting water in the resevoirs/rewetting sponges!

6. debilorrah

Quote:I feel your pain!!! I have recently come across information that is good news. Use a maxi pad!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!

7. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:How do you do that??

8. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Quote:I feel your pain!!! I have recently come across information that is good news. Use a maxi pad!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!

I seen that on here the other day somewhere and thought I would give it a try for this next lockdown on the 18th of this month.

9. debilorrah

Quote:How do you do that??

There is a recipe for it that requires, I believe, 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 water in a coffee mug - stir, put the mug and the hygrometer in a large baggie and seal it for 12 hours. It is supposed to read 75. Go up or down from there. IE: The thing reads 50% it is off by 25% so adjust accordingly.

10. debilorrah

I seen that on here the other day somewhere and thought I would give it a try for this next lockdown on the 18th of this month.

Do it!!! I am incubating ducks now and they require more humidity, and I live in a VERY dry climate and I able to maintain 60%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by