I can't grow duckweed?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountaintopchicken, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    This is so embarrassing to admit, but I can't grow duckweed. I'm actually a really good gardener and I can't grow one of the planets most noxious weeds. I have tried it in a stock tank and in a small plastic container, I have tried using organic liquid fish fertilizer and then Pete's professional powdered fertilizer. I even tried keeping it on top of a 5 gallon betta tank and it died - I think there was too much water movement. The duckweed never completely goes away in my non-fish tanks but never grows enough to feed the chickens.

What am I doing wrong? How is it possible not to be able to grow duckweed?

2. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    How deep was the water you were growing in on? Did you have artificial light?

3. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I used a 70 gallon stock tank and a plastic kitty litter container. Stock tank is at least 2 feet deep, kitty litter container more than 1 ft deep. They have been in natural sunlight outside except for during the winter. I overwintered the duckweed in half frozen state in my unheated sun room. It survived till spring but didn't grow, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by