I can't have chickens in PA??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 13, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    So, I am making small talk with this woman I don't really know at a charity event. Some one else mentions chickens (I swear it was not me!) And this woman goes on a tear. She says that it is not possible for people to raise chickens in Delaware because it is too cold.

Ignoring the fact that Delaware is home to one of the largest Perdue farms, I figure she'll just insist that those are in SOUTHERN Delaware. SO I say, "Oh, actually we have chickens in PA and they do just fine in the winter."

She looks me straight in the eye and says, "No you don't." [​IMG]

So, I don't know this woman and I am disinclined to argue with people who are clearly coming to a battle of wits unarmed. But, my daughter says, "Yes, we do!" She's all puzzled.

The woman says, "Then you must get new chickens every spring because they can't survive a PA winter."

I am trying to get DDs eye to get her to simply walk away, but it isn't happening. DD says, "No, we've had the same chickens for years. We do have some new babies we hatched over the summer." She's very proud of her babies.

And the woman says, "You can't have the same chickens." Finally I can see the light dawn in DDs eyes. This woman is nuts and arguing with her is pointless. So DD says, "The chickens manage just fine, if it is really cold we give them a heat lamp."

The woman's eyes light up! Triumph! "A heat lamp! See I told you they could not survive a PA winter." And she stalks off. [​IMG] [​IMG]

DD, all innocent looks at me and says "I was thinking of inviting her to come see them, but I thought maybe not." [​IMG]

So funny.

So, DD says, "I guess we shouldn't tell the chickens they can't survive the cold, huh?" [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Some people cannot be educated because they already know everything.

3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Should be against the law for some people to be loose in public...

A heat lamp, huh? Shoulda told her you guys knit little sweaters for the
    chickens. But it's a real pain in the butt, getting all those little boots on
    the chickens when they want to go outside.

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Crazy. Of course, the woman is ridiculous. I leave in PA also, have had chickens off and on most of my life, and never used a heat lamp. I have a small flock that free range the barnyard area year in and out. They go where they want when they want. Mostly they don't go out in the coldest or windest days, but I'm surprised where those little chicken tracks show up at AND the ducks... they make a pilgrimage to their little hole of water left in the pond several times a day~!

And, obviously, you and I are only two of many, many more. AND, then all the folks in New York, New England, Nebraska, ALASKA, etc. How narrow-minded is this woman to believe such a fallacy? It is an example of how easy folks hold tight, at times, to misinformation.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:I nearly snorted cocoa outta my nose!! SOme of mine do wear little denim saddles and you should have heard the speculation from the workers who were here last week! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I never could figure out why they simply didn't ask me!

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    OR....My chickens are use to the snow. We've taught them to walk
    on little stilts so they keep the snow off their feet.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Or - we bought each and every one of them little down jackets. Oh, wait.... [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp-nothing to say

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Good for your DD. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Dang it! And all you people let me go ahead with my plans this spring to get chickens! And NOW I find out they can't survive the winter?? Geez.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some people just get something in their heads and refuse to be told differently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by