I can't help myself, okay I'm a nut

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seminolewind, Dec 18, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My first chicken run, well I didn't like it. So I dismantled it, reused the wood and built a new run with an interesting top. I'll post pics this week.-karen

2. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm really not happy with mine either. My husband and his friend did a great job on the construction itself. It's 20' x 40' with pvc pipe down the center supporting a chicken wire roof. I love that part, however I did not know then that I should bury the exterior barrier. There are areas the chickens have scratched that worry me. I'm afraid they'll either crawl under or a predator will. So I go around filling in with dirt or stacking cement blocks (out of those now) where I think a critter could get in/out. Now everything is frozen. I'll have to wait until spring to dismantle it and fix it.

Cain't wait to see your pictures. Pics always give others ideas.

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Oooooh! Can't wait to see pictures. I am not happy with my run at all. I call it the ghetto run. It looks like it was put together with salvage parts.......ummmmmmm........maybe b/c some of the parts are recycled. I have no idea where my DH found some of the stuff, but he had it. I want to make it bigger and have more roof protection. It will do for now to keep the flock safe.

4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Yes, me too. I think our run is too low................. not to mention small! [​IMG]

Pictures! Pictures! PICTURES! [​IMG]

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mine is to small. DH did it for my birthday in August and did it how he wanted it not how I wanted it so quess what he is building me a bigger run while he is off for Christmas. He asked what I wanted and I told him. [​IMG]

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can so relate to that girl [​IMG] I do that all the time.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Just a thought: you may not need to dismantle it, just put some fencing ( a foot or so) laying horizontally around the perimiter of your run, and stake it or cover it with dirt or available material.

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That is exactly what I did Randy and then covered it over with dirt. Hopefully weeds and grass will grow through it to further secure it to the ground but for now it does seem predator proof to me. Shelly, that will likely work for you. Get a roll of heavy chicken wire about 18" wide and bend it about 3" so you can attach it to the existing sides and go all the way around your pen laying it flat on the ground but attaching it also. Hard to dig through the wire and most predators aren't smart enough to back up nearly two week and dig under it. Hope that works, set my mind at ease after all those opossum nightmares I had!! Darlene

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That is exactly what I did Randy and then covered it over with dirt. Hopefully weeds and grass will grow through it to further secure it to the ground but for now it does seem predator proof to me. Shelly, that will likely work for you. Get a roll of heavy chicken wire about 18" wide and bend it about 3" so you can attach it to the existing sides and go all the way around your pen laying it flat on the ground but attaching it also. Hard to dig through the wire and most predators aren't smart enough to back up nearly two week and dig under it. Hope that works, set my mind at ease after all those opossum nightmares I had!! Darlene

ps..Good nagging job Laura!! kept mine up all summer until he gave in in september and built my "extension"!!! [​IMG]

10. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    What a great idea! I can probably do that right away instead of waiting for Spring. Thanks!

[​IMG]:weee:weee:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by