1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't keep any eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by into_my_web, Oct 22, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    We have two chickens that are old enough to lay but the other chickens keep breaking the eggs and eating the insides, I would like to incubate the eggs because my hens are not broody, but the chickens keep eating them, I was only able to save one so far.
    I am sure this is my fault, I thought it would be fine to feed the chickens the eggs that weren't fertile, they weren't fertile because our roosters weren't quite old enough when we got our older layer, any way we thought the eggs were a healthy snack. Now I'm stumped.
    Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is chicken soup weather. I don't think you can ever break egg-eaters. Once they get a taste for them, its all over. But they do make good chicken and dumplings. [​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have no personal experience with this, but i have heard of people using wooden eggs or something else hard to break them of eating the eggs. I'm not exactly sure about these logistics, but the point is to convince them that there's nothing inside to peck at by fooling them with the wooden eggs.

I'm hoping with you that lavacaw might be mistaken. [​IMG] It's worth a try anyway. [​IMG]

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I would never kill 2 chickens ive raised there probably pets to you now,you cant kill them.Try to get store bought eggs or somthing blow them out so there hollow then fill it up with spicy mustard or somthin gross put it ina box and see what happens.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Once chickens start breaking and eating eggs, it's virtually impossible to get them to stop. Most people have to send the offenders to freezer camp.

Sorry.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Can you just separate them? The eaters and non-eaters? I Think I might have a couple that are egg eaters, but not completely sure. I plan on separating them out of the flock. Good luck!!!

7. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    just for future reference, if you want to feed eggs to chickens, boild them or scramble them, then give it back to the chickens in a non egg shape form. guess you figured that out the hard way. I agree with trying wooden eggs.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Don't give up on them yet! Are these young pullets? Not laying yet? I would separate them out and try giving them more protein--either a higher protein feed such as game bird feed or grower (which they should be on anyway if they are young), and add high protein treats such as meal worms, sunflower seeds, small amounts of cat food or shredded cheese, or low salt fish. Make sure all your hens have access to oyster shell at all times and collect eggs as often as you can. I tried the mustard egg, didn't do much for me, but keeping them busy and healthy, as well as them maturing, did the trick.

9. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    You fed chickens their own eggs...? Well now you know what not to do. You taught them that their eggs are food and now are upset that they're doing exactly what you taught them.

Collect the eggs often,
    Provide plenty of other food
    And try a booby-trapped egg as someone else suggested.

But chickens are great creatures of habit, and it is hard to break something like this if you can't provide fairly constant supervision for a few weeks to remove the temptations and train a new habit.

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Try the roll away nest. Google it on this site. The nest box has a false back raised up and the nest is inclined slightly so that the egg rolls away from the nest back to where the hen cannot access it.

I made mine out of a old cabinet that someone threw out in the alley. It took me all of an hour to make it.

Make sure the nest box is in the dark, and make it kind of difficult for the hen to turn around in it.

My chickens don't eat eggs, but trust is the first step to betrayal.

Good Luck,

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by