I can't keep D'Uccle hens alive ... :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimb, Dec 21, 2010.

1. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I cannot keep D'uccle hens alive ... just lost my last female last night (she has refused to bare weight on one leg for over a month - has been separated since but could hop well 1 legged )

last year I purchased a few pullets - they all died by spring/summer ...

so I hatched some this spring -roosters are healthy as horses, and all 3 hens have passed ...

What am I doing wrong? [​IMG] ... I think I'm just going to rehome my remaining roo and give up on trying to keep anymore of this breed...

I have a mixed flock of LF Cochins, Bantam Cochins, Silkies, and a few others (EE, Buttercup, frizzle, X's) totaling to 21 and 4 ducks ...

They free range ALL day have a 10x7x8 coop with plenty of roosts at night (locked in securely!) and a separate area for the silkies that don't like to roost high like the others (but so they don't get poo'd on ... and the ducks have their separate enclosure attached 3x3.5 ...

They get fresh water daily, poulin feed (starting with starter -> grower -> layer around 5-6 months)... started with cleaning the bedding often, then I did a total disinfect/pesticide wash and started deep liter for the winter. (bedding is shavings with a few handfuls of hay now and again for them to pick at)

Are they just sensitive birds? or what ? ... I feel like a failure and I really really enjoy them [​IMG]

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I'm just a newbie, but I have been reading about d'Uccles over the past couple days, as I'm thinking about getting some. I do remember reading somewhere, that they were more susceptible to a particular disease (possibly Marek's?) I think that is what I recall. I'm sure you'll get some great advice and info from the veterans here. So sorry to hear that you've lost so many. That's always heartbreaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by