1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't kill my Dad, I can't kill my dad... Update posts #12, 14

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Cats Critters, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm ready to strangle my dad! I love him to death but sometimes he is so clueless and cruel without meaning to be! This morning I woke up to the phone ringing at about 7-8 , I'm not a morning person and I have stomach problems that if I can sleep in, I can sleep past the worst of the pain. My dad is calling to ask to use my Jeep. Me being half asleep am like "What? Why?" and he explains (not very well because I'm not sure why he needs my Jeep when him and my step-mom have 2 vehicles) that he needs another vehicle when he goes down to Thunder in the Vally (Motorcycle rally and they take their camper and a trailer with their motorcycles and our taking others) and asks if I had anything major that I need it for this week. I say I was going to my Grandmother's (his mom) to help her out (she has been having health problems and needs help cleaning, in her garden, and taking care of her chickens) and my sister (his other daughter) has a Guitar lesson tomorrow that I need to drive her to.

And he's like "I'll see what I can do for today as far as getting you a ride home." and starts talking about calling Grandma and talking to my Step-mom. And I remind him about my sister's guitar lesson, and he says "Oh I'm really not worried about it/it's not important." That hurt me but I don't want to know what my sister will think/feel! We talked for a couple minutes more and then said "I'll talk to P (step-mom) and call you back."

So I'm sitting here wondering how badly my mom is going to kill me for not being able to take my sister to guitar. And trying to figure out how my Jeep would help, it doesn't have a hitch. So he can't haul the camper (which my Jeep would just barely be able to haul and have trouble on hills) or the trailer with motorcycles.

Okay done ranting, I'll let you know what he says when he calls and I'm making him let my mom know.....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    A good way to approach this would be to just calmly tell your dad, I'm sorry, but I can't let you have the jeep that week. Don't get excited or raise your voice, no matter what his reaction is. Sympathize with him. "Gee, that is rough". " I would like to help you, but it just isn't feasible". "I don't think the jeep will be able to do the job you want it to." "I'm sorry, but I have commitments." Offer other suggestions- "Have you looked into renting a vehicle, maybe you can get one with a hitch?" You could try hiding the keys...

Being that this is your father though, you may still not have a choice. It isn't fair, but that is how life is. [​IMG] I would ask him that he find a way for you to honor your commitments to your Grandmother and sister. He may not feel that guitar lessons are important, but I'd bet that these lessons are as important to your sister, as the motorcycle rally is to your father.

Good luck!

3. Cats Critters

My sister just got up and I told her the gist of it skipping what he said and I wouldn't be able to take her to guitar. And she said tell him No! I said something about him being dad and it's a little hard to tell him no and asked if she want to answer the phone. And she says sure and takes the phone. The only major problem with telling him no is he pays my car insurance [​IMG] . But we will see how this goes.

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    If they have two vehicles... why don't they swap with you then?

5. Cats Critters

Quote:[​IMG] both vehicles have hitches and can haul so I have no idea, and am hoping he calls back soon and explains better what the heck is going on [​IMG]

6. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Ah. If he pays your insurance, then you aren't in a position to really say no. Politely requesting that other alternatives are looked into is really your only option. Discuss it calmly and rationally. Is he asking to use your jeep in lieu of taking one of his own vehicles? If so, maybe you could ask to swap.

7. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG] both vehicles have hitches and can haul so I have no idea, and am hoping he calls back soon and explains better what the heck is going on [​IMG]

Maybe yours is in better shape for the drive???? I would definitely just ask to switch out vehicles so you can still live up to your commitments.

8. Cats Critters

Quote:Honestly no idea, I was half asleep when we called and I really am not getting why he would need my Jeep. Hopefully he calls back soon and explains what the heck is going on.

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Towing too heavy a load, especially if your jeep has an automatic transmission without a cooler (and this is an add-on, not standard equipment) can burn up your transmission. IF this is your vehicle that you paid for, you're well within your rights to refuse, to protect the jeep from mechanical trouble. If it actually belongs to your parents, you're on shaky ground. You can, however, point out to your dad it could end up costing a lot of money to rebuild the jeep's tranny.

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

If your dad pays your car insurance and holds it over your head, I'd find a way to pay my own car insurance. As long as parents can hold ANYTHING over their adult children's heads, you're not really an adult yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by