I can't seem to ever hatch anything.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkiehen, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Ok, I have had two broody chickens. Broody number 1 left nest to eat and dogs took the 2 week old eggs. Broody number 2 who is currently sitting, left to stretch, eat, etc, rooster ate the eggs. So I gave her the ones from the incubator (timed with broody, well not really timed more of a coincident), my sisters dog ate them... I found my old rabbit hutch today and put a ton of grass from where she was siting.I moved her at night. This is what I did I have about 12 eggs(about 18 days old) in the incubator, I gave her some new eggs until the morning so if she busted them it would be ok. I will give her the ones from the incubator in the morning. The hutch is low to ground so she can get in and out. She wont be disturbed by the other chickens or dogs. She is getting scratch and a Happy Hens Mealworm Block, freshwater like always, and whatever else she can find in the run.Any suggestions on anything? Its my first year with chickens. Excuse any typos

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Might be better to do the egg swap at night. Its less stressful to Momma Hen.

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Now that your broody is protected, I think you should have an easier go of it!!

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Agree night is better as she will be more likely to stay on them as that's what they do at night, stay put.

I would be concerned about having an egg eating rooster and the dog to be honest. Now he's had a taste are you able to keep him away from your eggs being laid?

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I had a dog that would find ways into the coop, over the fence.. under the fence and through the fence. He went from eating eggs to graduating and killing chickens very quickly.. Nothing we did would stop him so we found him a new home without any farm animals. At this time we didn't have roosters or Broody's so my losses were just my laying hens but I vowed no more dogs. As far as the egg eating rooster... I would turn him into soup and put an ad on CL for another rooster, good ones are out there, I know. I have found 2.

I also agree with giving her the eggs at night, anytime I do anything with a broody it is done in the evening.. Good Luck! I hope the poor girl finally gets some chicks! [​IMG]

6. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    She is NOT happy with being moved. She is in the rabbit hutch pacing and clucking How long do I need to keep her locked up? Thank you for all of your help!

7. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I just went to check and she is sitting on the egg. She has mealworms and scracth. Is that enough? Just trying to get ome fat on her

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I would give her atleast two days... Can you put anything over the hutch to darken it? I have found if left alone for atleast 24-48 hours most hens will accept their new enclosures. and yes, the food you have for her is enough..

If the chicks hatch in the incubator you can always graft them to her in a few days

9. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    How many eggs can I give a chicken of this size?[​IMG]

10. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    looks like a RIR??

I typically give my Med to Large breeds no more than 8-10...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by