I can't seem to get any help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, yesterday I posted about my chick's protruding vent. I clipped the hair around the vent. She's staying oily because of the Preparation H, but I've been applying it twice a day. I had her isolated, but she was very unhappy. She had been laying near one of the EE's since she came. So while we ran to Lowe's, I let her in with the other chicks. Well, she's isolated until further notice. I don't know if it's relevant, but I've noticed this chick is smaller than the rest. This is what her neck looks like:

[​IMG]

Under wing

[​IMG]

Her vent pretty much still looks the same.

[​IMG]

Is there anything else I can be doing that I'm not?? I asked in the Emergencies folder, but my threads seem to go hours on end without a response and I'm very worried.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Sorry, I wish I could help, but I've never had a problem like this in any of our chicks.
    Terry

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    It's hard to see in the pictures what the issue is in the other two spots - are they just red looking? The vent doesn't look horrible to me - does the chick have any other symptoms? What kind of bedding are you using? What are you feeding? How old is she?

4. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    She was hatched Monday. She's eating Purina Chick start. You can see in the second pic the profile of her vent. The vent is protruding.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this with the little chick. Is this chick one that you hatched or is it a shipped chick? Was the egg yoke completely absorbed? Is it eating and drinking properly?

I heard that if you use mineral oil and a sterile q-tip that you rub around the outside of the vent and then you can push it back in, you could probably use the preparation H to do the same thing. I have never done this before but my local family owned livestock supply owner told me about this when I brought a day old chick that hatched and the yoke was not fully absorbed, well he cut it off and that may have been the wrong thing to do. but i will never know. to be honest I am not sure if this would work for the vent but I guess it is worth a shot to try.

I hope someone else gives you some more advice to help this little baby out.
    [​IMG]

6. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you. Someone else suggested the egg yolk. TO be honest, I'm not sure. I got a shipment of chicks from Meyer on Tuesday. She appeared to have pasty butt and I gently cleaned her and discovered her vent.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, but I've never seen that. May be a flaw in the wall of the intestine, causing a hernia, but I have no idea what to do for it. Most unanswered emergency type threads just mean that no one online at the time has an answer for you. Wish I did!

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by