I can't seem to keep any eggs! GAAAAH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 23, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I have 9 laying hens and get between 5 to 8 eggs a day - you'd think there would be enough, right??

I sold 5 dozen eggs the past two days and have 4 dozen more on backorder!!

[​IMG]

These are city folk who don't have access to fresh farm eggs so they are thrilled to pay $5 for a dozen, so of course we're not eating any and selling everything we can!

Waaah! All these lovely free-range eggs and we can't eat any!!

I guess it's a good problem to have? [​IMG]

I've got 3 hens that should lay within a month or two and 4 more that will lay by springtime.

One of my laying hens has just gone broody, to top it off.

Go ahead, laugh!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Sounds like time to order some egg producers from one of the Hatcheries if people are willing to pay $5 a Dozen you have a good market for them. See how enablers work?

3. Get a few more hens and seperate them in a different coop. Use those hens only for yourself. That's what I would do. Have my "for sell" layers and my "keep" layers.

4. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I hope you have room for more chickens. That would be more than enough reason to get more.
    I have 6 Pullets.. I doubt I'll sell any eggs. I sort of "owe" FIL for helping build the coop, and I'll need to keep the neighbors happy too.
    i wish I had room for more.

5. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    DH told me to get more hens, eh? LOL!

However my coop is full! I have one small corner that will hold my broody hen & some eggs as of tomorrow, another corner for my 4 new, young recovering pullets (they cannot be put with the rest of the flock anytime soon or they will get pecked to death) and then my flock of 15 occupies the other space in the coop...

If I had ONE more corner to spare I would get more hens!!

What to do, how to do it???

[​IMG]

6. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    Do you have room for another coop?

7. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    yes, but not a penny to invest in it...

we're putting our house for sale early january and moving... after that I get a BRAND NEW COOP so you bet I'll be planning it correctly instead of having to deal with this crappy old inherited setup! yay for spare money, LOL!

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] new Coop
    more Space=more chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by