1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't seem to peel my hard boiled eggs - page 8 Solution!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by McGoo, Dec 4, 2007.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Is it because they are fresh? I'm running them under cold water, but boy are they difficult to separate from the membrane [​IMG]

The Solution is Salt - and I mean a good amount - 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup into the water and then boil up the eggs - They peel like a dream!!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, age them. Else you can do a search as it is a common problem.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I throw my fresh eggs in ice water before peeling them. Although still difficult they are alot easier that way.

4. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    What you do is pierce them with a pin in the tip before hard boiling. When they are fresh, there is no air space yet. Pricking allows the space so they can be pealed.
    Make sense?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    The other thing you can do is throw salt in the water when you are boiling them. Don't know why it works, but it does.

6. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    lol i thought i was the only one who would ask this one . why do eggs from the grocery store peel easyer. is it age of the egg?

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    lol i thought i was the only one who would ask this one . why do eggs from the grocery store peel easyer. is it age of the egg?

I believe so, at least that is what I have heard.​

8. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Yup. The older they get, the more air space inside. You can test the age of an egg by putting it in water. If it lays on the bottom, it is fresh. If it floats, it is too old (too much air).

P-Funk likes this.
  9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the ideas for helping with this dilemma. I'll try them all out ...salt water, ice water, and I'll try to 'age' them a bit - that's the harder one to do since I've only got a few gals laying and everyone wants my eggs - so they never get old.

Stay tuned, I'll boil a few up tomorrow and let ya know how it goes ....[​IMG]

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Do a search for sure - there was some great discussion on this topic a few weeks ago. I believe one idea was to use white vinegar in the water...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by