I CAN'T STOP MY CHICKENS...................

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JimnJanet, Aug 20, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    from multiplying !!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Every time i turn around i have a broody !!!!!
    This time, my bestestest broody girl jist hatched out 7 more fuzzies 2 days ago. Last nite i pulled the eggs that she left after the hatch,8 of 'em. one was pipped so i brought it in and got the little bugger out of it's shell and put it under a light for the night thinkin full well that it would be snake food come morning but NOOOOOOOOOOO, that little bugger was up chirpin and runnin round the brooder so outside and under Goldie it went. Before i closed the coop up last night i figgered what the heck and stuck the remaining 7 eggs in front of her in the corner of the coop and she immediately pulled 'em right under her with her 6 chicks. This morning when i went out to take the "assisted" one back out to her she had pushed those eggs away so i just sat them on top of the coop figgerin i'll bury 'em after breakfast.Well, i forgot to bury 'em and jist now, 6 hours later, i went out do so and i see one is pipped !!!!!!!! it was lyin there in the sun for 6 hours and it pipped !!!!!! [​IMG]
    Last January Janet says......" hey baby, let's get a couple o' chickens so we can have fresh eggs".
    We bot 8 hens...................43 chickens later [​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

[​IMG] Yep, I had a broody girl like that! She would hatch as many as 17!! Once she hatched out a batch in January, of all times!
    There had been a warm spell at the end of December and she got spring fever I guess. She was good for 4-5 clutches EVERY year. Do the math..... they add up quick!

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    [​IMG] You'd almost think they were rabbits! [​IMG]

Which reminds me of the time my 13yr old niece found out I got rabbits...she asked my mom "Aunt Cindy KNOWS they...umm...breed like rabbits, right?" [​IMG] Thanks hon! NOW I know where that phrase comes from! [​IMG]

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK JimnJanet, let's cover some basics.

We KNOW what causes babies these days. Its not swimming in the same pool....

So umm, remove the roo?!? [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wow, you're lucky then. Best be snatching up those eggs faster than they can set on them!

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sell the baby chicks! I have a great market here, everybody wants chickens but dont want to buy 25 at a time or pay pricely shipping fees.

7. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    LOL I had 3 red sex-link hens who'd hide nests everywhere but no roo. They never set the eggs either. So there was no telling when we'd happen on a nest of old rotten eggs. Such a dangerous thing to find. Haha

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Just because hens go broody doesn't mean you have to leave eggs under them. All you have to do is collect eggs every day. Now, if the real problem is that you can't help leaving eggs under your broody hens to have more cute little chicks running around, that's a different problem. [​IMG]

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

OK JimnJanet, let's cover some basics.

We KNOW what causes babies these days. Its not swimming in the same pool....

So umm, remove the roo?!? [​IMG]

Did dat jist this past weekend.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by