i cant tell if my eggs are fertile!!

k&c poultry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
NJ
i just put 19 eggs in my incubator today 7/2/11 and im not completly sure if they are fertile or not. i have 3 roosters with 15 hens. the hens layed the eggs and were sitting on them sort of a lot. i candled them and i believe they are but i am not 100% sure because im not really sure what i am looking for any suggestions or any help would be nice. thank you

k&c poultry :

i just put 19 eggs in my incubator today 7/2/11 and im not completly sure if they are fertile or not. i have 3 roosters with 15 hens. the hens layed the eggs and were sitting on them sort of a lot. i candled them and i believe they are but i am not 100% sure because im not really sure what i am looking for any suggestions or any help would be nice. thank you

Leave them be today and tonight, tomorrow evening ( or after about 24 hours ) candle them again. The ones that are fertile will have a very obvious round "yoke", and the infertiles will be totally clear with no shadows at all. Keep them all for a week though. I was told to always give them at least 7 days.
Hope that helps you some. There are several threads on here you can look at too. Just type checking for fertility in the search box at the top of this page.
good luck to you.

This is one of mine on day 3
88100_cochinsday3.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the help. when i candled them i saw a round shadow like thing towards the bottom so im guessing that they are. again thank you and thanks for the pics

I wait till about day 5 and by then you will be able to see some good veins in the ones that are fertile.

Yes at day 2 or 3 you will start seeing a dark spot, which means they are starting to develop. The infertile ones will be clear. And then at day 4 or 5 veins will start to show.

alright thanks everybody for the advice ill keep it updated and let everyone know and put some pics up. i cant wait to see the outcome its my first attempt to hatch and i am very excited.

Back
Top Bottom