I can't tell if our goat kid newborn is nursing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ana Robin, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Ana Robin

Ana Robin Chirping

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi, all.

We have a new freshener who gave birth to 3 kids yesterday. They all stand just fine and wag their little tails as if they are happy. They are not super energetic and do tend to lay around a lot, but I've seen all of them latch on at least once. I never see the runt (only doe out of 3) nurse with an exception of the first time I got her to do it. It's like pulling teeth trying to get the little darling to nurse, at least, in front of me. Should I be worried? This is only our second year with our goats, so still somewhat of a newbie. I have some weak lamb serum ready to go if necessary, but don't want to do anything unnecessary.

Thanks so much!

A Robin

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I might pull the more aggressive and active kids away, just have her and mom together for a couple of hours. Thing is, if they don't eat, they get weak, and then can't eat. Especially if there are more aggressive and stronger goats competing for the food. I am not sure if the goat CAN raise 3 kids, she may not have enough milk. If so, I would not separate them, but get one of them to accept a bottle and supplement.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Mrs K is right...Try supplementing the smallest one with a bottle...Congrats on the 3 kids.....:frow

5. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    If there is any doubt at all, give the kid a bottle. You also need to watch the group. Often if a doe, particularly a young one, has three or more kids, she will reject one, usually the smallest and weakest. This may or may not happen all at once. If you watch, you will notice that when one particular kid tries to nurse, she will allow it to get just a few swallows of milk and then she will walk off. Once a doe decides to reject a particular kid, she won't change her mind so you might as well feed it yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: