I can't tell if she's broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a 1 year old Brahma that I noticed slept on eggs one night. When i touched her she puffed up and hissed at me. Well the next
    morning she was sitting on the roost. Then the next day and night she was on the eggs again. This morning she was on them but has now been off for awhile. She is just walking around with the other chickens. She does make weird noises when I go near her though. Is she broody? Can I let her hatch eggs?

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:She sounds like she is getting broody. Either that, or she is just not very committed. But, most likely, she is broody. Yes, you can let her [​IMG]

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Well hopefully the money I'll spend on fertile eggs won't be wasted!

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Make sure that she is settled in and fully broody before giving her eggs [​IMG]

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Broody chickens look like this:

[​IMG]

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Haha! That's what she looks like until she decides to go take a break. She takes lots of breaks.

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
  8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    She sounds broody to me. If you have never had a broody hen you may not know that you'll occassionally notice a LARGE [​IMG] pile of poo. The first time I saw one of these piles I thought it looked like a pile of dog poo. [​IMG] I was shocked and concerned that I had a predator but through this BYC site I learned that it was cause the broody girls save it up during the day and when they go they go BIG. [​IMG]

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I actually saw a pretty big poo yesterday!

10. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Pick it up and put it in your compost heap. WHAT??[​IMG] You don't have a compost heap?? Well having chickens is a good reason to start one now. Even if you don't ever plan to use the compost it is a good way to manage your poopy chicken beeding from the coop floor. The BIG piles are easy to pick up (shovel) and saves you from stepping in them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by