I cant tell my ducks sex!!!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by frankie5316, Dec 14, 2008.

1. frankie5316

frankie5316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    ok, i looked up on the internet how to tell the sex of a duck, it said that if they have a curled feather on theyre tush, then its a male. i have three ducks, 2 of them have the curled feather and the other one doesnt. the one that doesnt is the biggest duck and its always getting on top of the other ducks trying to be "romantic". so i wonder if hes the boy? Im not sure!! someone help? does that duck not know the other two are boys, is that duck a girl?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    how old are your ducks? I know male ducks will lose their tail feather during a molt. It's kinda late for a molt, but i know my ducks just finished theirs because they were born late in the season....

3. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

If it is a Muscovy then it could be a male, they don't have the tail curls.

4. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

The females have a much louder quack and males make a muffled sound

5. frankie5316

frankie5316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    theyre all the same breed, idk what breed though. Theyre big fat all white ducks. and the one thats always getting on top of the others is the one without the curled feather and its the biggest, why is it switched around?. theyre about 6 or 7 months old.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Big white ducks? Pekins?

7. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Quote:So right on the quack Have ya heard them ??? which are the ones sounded like they are hoorse or like to whisper? By the way Nice Cuckoo Marans on your ID

[​IMG] Karan

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like a pekin to me.... you could just have a big aggressive female... listen to them quack. If they won't quack for you, you can try to pick them up, that usually does it. If the quack is whispery or raspy it's a male.... if you can hear an actual "Quack!" Or "Whaahhnt" sounds, it's a female...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by