1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't tell them apart

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jessbrum, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jessbrum

jessbrum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Texas
    So all five of my Rhode island reds confuse me all the time and I was thinking about buying leg bands but I'm not sure which ones to buy. Any suggestions?

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Get the right size (if they're young then make sure it's big enough to fit and not slip off, with still more room to grow) and different colors! The different colors really helped me with my buckeyes.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not sure what they're called, as I tossed the bag they came in, but I'm using these little silicone bands the girls are using to make bracelets. I guess the bracelets are a big thing now, and the bands are in Wal mart, Walgreens, places like that. My bag has 5 or 6 different colors. I had to stretch them pretty good to get them on over the foot, but they're a perfect size for my large fowl ladies. They're fairly small diameter, so I used 2 bands of the same color to make it easier to spot in the flock.

I've only used these a little over a month, so no claims to durability.....

4. jessbrum

jessbrum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Texas
    Oh that's a good idea I know what your taking about my niece has them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by