I can't tell what the pecking order is...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allig8r, Sep 21, 2007.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it too early to possibly know? They're almost 17 wks old and seriously--I can't tell that any one of the girls (I only have girls) "rules the roost" or if any is low girl on the totem pole.

They HAVE a pecking order--right?

I'm by no means concerned... just curious!

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I'm right there with you! I have no clue as to who has the "alpha" role! Big Bird my RIR roo had the role, now dont know who. But, then again, I have a mix of hens and roos.

3. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Well, there is a pecking order in a flock, but chicken politics are a fluid thing. Sometimes it'll be obvious - others not so.

If there's a top or bottom chicken(s) in your flock it'll be obvious.

-Frank

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Count yourselves lucky that your group is so peace-loving!

My ladies were like that.. I knew who was top because she is a bit.. ahem.. irritable. I knew who was bottom because she won't take treats from me, is usually the last out of the house, etc. The rest were hard to distinguish.

In the last week or so, though, it's all changed. Cranky top girl will CHASE the others, I've witnessed a few hard pecks here and there... I'm chalking it up to no roo and age (they are almost 19wks.). I think everyone has PMS! <or is it.. PES: Pre-Egg Syndrome??>.

-Meghan

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I'm chalking it up to no roo and age (they are almost 19wks.). I think everyone has PMS! <or is it.. PES: Pre-Egg Syndrome??>.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I posted the same question not too long ago.
    Of my older four, I belive I have figured it out, but it wasn't easy.

Someone(several someones, actually) suggested that the first to go into the coop at night was the top.
    i belive this is true, but that the rest may be random.

The last piece in my puzzle came the other day when I saw Emerald peck at Hazel, when she wanted something.

The point is, that if you watch real close for a really long time, you will see some subtle thing that lets you know.

Of coarse you still may not know the true pecking order, but as long as you think you do, isn't that all that matters? It works for me [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  7. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I use to know but since the Red Tail Hawk took her now I am not so sure... [​IMG]

I really was going to post about this but never did they seem to be getting along better without her, spend a few days calling for her. I have no idea who took over the Alpha role.

All I know is now when I walk outside they all run over to me and follow me around the yard.
    This afternoon they spent it in my garage while I was doing laundry. They all slept on the carpet beside me while I sorted clothes out.
    I took pictures of them it was so funny.

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a major changes in our group of six girls when one had to be separated for an injury. She was then shunned when put back. Consequently, we've been interested in the PO.

I can usually tell who's in charge is I put out some scratch or other treats but NOT enough for everyone. A small circle of BOSS on the deck, that sort of thing. The Top Dog Leghorn will not let anyone get a bite!

9. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can pray!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by