I CANT WAIT ANYMORE FOR THESE EGGS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sienatiger, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    I need my girls to start I am getting so eager I can't stand it anymore. They are about 20 weeks and haven't started squatting yet. There faces are really red. I haven't heared the egg song yet. I will post a picture tomorrow. Please respond if you know anything! Thanks so much. I will post when they start! Feel free to talk about your torture with me! I am always willing to chat!

2. wyllyschickens

wyllyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Totally know your pain! Mine are 24 weeks old and still no eggs. Ugh! How many and what kind of chickens do you have?

3. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    What breeds are they? My Red sex link started at 19.5 weeks and my Black sex link started at 23 weeks. I'm still waiting for my Australorp and Silkie at 25 weeks.

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I'm in the same boat!!! I replaced my flock this year and started chicks later than I have in the past. We decided to wait until after vacation so it was mid June when they came. I usually order too many, this year was no different but it worked out as a co-worker started raising broilers and I swapped 5 dressed birds for 8 layers and he even took the leghorn chick that turned out to be a rooster.
    He got his first egg yesterday and nothing for me! [​IMG]DH and I joked about dragging the grill down beside their run as a threat :)
    I'm sure it will be anytime, the 2 Ancona's have bright red combs and nice wattles and so do 2 of the 4 Leghorn's. I expect it will take a bit longer for the others, there are 2 RIR's, 3 EE's 1 golden comet and 1 Black australorp.

5. Sienatiger

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    Haha![​IMG][​IMG] glad to have people in the same boat. I have 9 chickens, but 6 of them are only 10 weeks old. My 3 20 week olds are RIRs, light brahma, and silver laced wynadotte. Good luck for you guys! Can't wait to hear when it happens! Keep us posted!

6. wyllyschickens

wyllyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    I heard them singing their egg song but still no eggs!!!! Ahhhh I'm going insane :(

7. Sienatiger

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    OMG same! I was just walking around and she started singing! does anyone know how much longer after she starts singing that she will lay??????

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Probably *soon* lol. I starred that because who really knows. 20 weeks is on the youngish side, some birds lay before that, many lay a few weeks later. All I can tell you is that it's been my experience that birds I've raised that came to point-of-lay in the fall often started laying a bit later then birds who hit point-of-lay in the spring. But they all start laying eventually!

9. Sienatiger

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    thanks for all the help guys! I need these eggs! I cant wait anymore! its probably going to be a few more weeks. what do you guys think?

10. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    When they first start laying, often times the eggs have soft shells or can even be shell-less. You won't necessarily see them either (unless you're like me and check the nesting boxes a million times a day) because they'll eat them. Once their systems sort out the whole egg making process and the shells are hard and whole, they should stop eating them. Their songs may not be quite as "boy who cried wolf" as you might think. I know the waiting for those precious eggs has to be one of the hardest parts of chicken keeping but it WILL happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by