I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

Statix653

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
I did it finally! I caponized the partridge rock packaging peanuts I received from Ideal Poultry exactly 1 month ago to the day. I had 9 peanuts and one Red Laced White Cornish that I had no idea what to do with, so I did what any rational human being would do, I knifed em'!

Here are my numbers--- 10 alive all together before caponizing, -2 purposeful deaths for learnings sake, -2 accidental deaths (cut aorta) = 6 survivors. Not bad for my first time I suppose but im sure others have done better.

Here are the pictures and a summary of what I did.

8:30 pm Thrursday I took their food away
8:30 am Friday I took their water
8:30 am Saturday I started...

Here is the brave bird who sacrificed his comfort for pictures sake:
81045_bird_1.jpg

Heres what I did:

1. I tied him down with some weights and string around his wings and legs, then hung them on opposite sides of the table so the bird could be stretched out. This allowed me to work in a tight area as well as not let him move.
81045_bird_2.jpg

2. with my fingers, I plucked the feathers from the working area and disinfected the site with Purell.
81045_bird_3.jpg

3. I stretched the skin back toward his leg (so the wound would not need sewing) and made an incision between the last two ribs (Easily found with your forefinger).
81045_bird_4.jpg

4. insert spreaders, mine are eyelid spreaders for ophthalmology, (*perfect*) and spread the ribs until the gut sack is visible.
81045_bird_5.jpg

5. Soak up excess blood with a Q-tip *very handy, grab alot*
81045_bird_6.jpg

6. Puncture the gut sack with something sharp *** do not use tweezers to grab and pull the gut sack, you will tear the aorta*** puncture and tear away only.
81045_bird_7.jpg

7. Use a Q-tip to move the guts out of the way and find the testicle, it is the yellow bit in the picture, about the size of a grain of rice *** Q-tips are relatively safe but you can still kill the bird if you are rough*** The Q-tip will soak up any blood and make it easier for you to probe with it. While you are probing around, If you see a rush of blood enter the area continue for learning purposes but kiss the bird goodbye. The aorta is Extremely sensitive.
81045_bird_9.jpg

8. Get a drinking straw from a gas station and cut it off to a comfortable size, staple the middle of one end, then loop 35 pound test fishing line to make a grabber. This is what you will use to loop the testicles. Loop the fishing line around a testicle and slide the straw down firmly, the testicle will tear away and end up on the end of your straw. Kind of like this...
81045_bird_10.jpg

9. Flip the bird and do the other side the same way.

10. Place the birds back in the pen and offer water first. Once every one is done and accounted for, add some water to their feed and give it to them as mash. This will keep their bodies from having to do too much work to digest food for the next day or two.

Depending on the stress of the whole incident, some chicks will hop right up and start drinking and others will want to lay there for a second. I found it helpful to dip their beak in the water a few times so they can get some in them.

Six less than happy, but alive, chicks:
81045_bird_12.jpg

I want to offer a word of thanks for the four birds who gave their lives for my and your knowledge, you died for a good cause, thank you.

Last edited:
EEK!

I'm not faint of heart, but I've never attempted surgery before and found myself feeling a bit dizzy just looking at the pictures. It's not like I've never butchered a chicken before, either--just never done surgery on anything with the intention of it staying alive!

Kudos to you for having the courage to attempt it and thank you for the pictures. I had no idea what was involved in doing--didn't know the testes were retained so far internal to the chicken!

th.gif

Thank you for posting these pictures, they were very informative!
I was concerned about the difficulty of caponizing, but your instructions make it seem simpler than I though. I may just try it.

Thanks for the workshop!! I'd like to try it some day but am a bit worried....

So, if you do this right, will these birds not crow? And then you'll use them as meaties yes?

Quote:
Caponizing can apparently cause the bird to grow up to 50% bigger and also reduce aggressiveness. I've never tried it, but that's what my country living book tells me.

They grow bigger, fatter and more tasty than the best cornish x ever would. They have no aggression and can even go broody on chicks. No fighting, good foster mothers safe to be around kids and make a fine holiday replacement for turkey? why not?

Back
Top Bottom