I caught a picture of the fox who wants my chickens dead

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by plabick, Sep 6, 2016.

1. plabick

plabick New Egg

Aug 9, 2016
    After finding multiple holes dug around the chicken coop, we decided to put up a motion activated camera to see who wanted to eat our hens. The camera makes a sound to a scare off the predator and then takes a picture of the fleeing animal. In the attached photo (with the wrong date and time), you can see the would be chicken attacker running from the coop. [​IMG]

We are setting up the camera again tonight the hope of getting a video of Mr. Fox.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

I'm afraid your pic is not showing up :( I'm sure he will be back so fingers crossed you have everything fully secured. All the holes will be testers on your defences against them. They are pesky predators for sure.

3. plabick

plabick New Egg

Aug 9, 2016
    Sorry about that, it looks like the mods did not aprove it yet. In the meantime, you can find the picture here

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    In the meantime do you need to do anything to prevent the fox from finishing the tunnel he started and finishing your birds?

Do you have any type of dug in wire or apron surrounding the run to prevent him from digging his way in? He will be back and he will be back to kill your birds! To a fox, they taste just like chicken!

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I approved your post :highfive: Its just that your pic was not uploaded to BYC. You should be good to upload them onto here :D
    Great pic of the fox, but scary! Horrid things they are in my opinion.
    Are you going to despatch with the fox?

:goodpost:

6. plabick

plabick New Egg

Aug 9, 2016
    I have the fence dug 13 inches down as well as a 6 inch skirt. I hope that this is enough to keep the fox out. What do you think?

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I can't say about the buried wire. I don't have any experience with that. I cannot imagine digging a trench to bury wire when an apron works as well if not better. But that has to be a wide apron. I'd say at least 2 feet or so. Something they would be standing on as they dig. Six inches.....maybe not.

Concept of the apron is it lays flat on the ground.......with a L shape upright leg at the coop or run. Predators tend to dig at the corner of the L.....at the bend where it goes from horizontal on the ground to vertical at the bend. They hit the wire and are stopped cold. If they continue digging, most will then move up and down the joint, probing for a break in the wire. They never do figure out they need to move back a couple feet to start a tunneling operation way on back.

Wire needs to be heavy....along the order of 14 gauge welded wire. Size depends on predators, but no less than 2" x 4" and 1" x 2" is better. No chicken wire. That will rust out and is not strong enough anyway.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I also think that you need to reinforce your hardware cloth; Wood screwed over the framing, and more framing rather than that wide expanse of wire. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by