i caught a skunk... " HE GOT AWAY" !!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lacyloo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I have had a racoon sized trap set with a quail to catch the bobcat, well I check the trap and found a little spotted skunk and i might keep him as a pet because i cant realese him and can't kill him ... casue he's so cuteee i will post pics tommarow of him i hope i dont get sprayed.
    Does anyone here have pet skunks ???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Ummmmm, they stink. They can also harbor a number of diseases. Be careful not to let it bite you. I'm sure it is cute, but, well, just be careful with it.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Use gloves to release him.
    They can carry rabies

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my little skunk....
    [​IMG]

What can I say... I'm a grandma [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    McGoo, too cute, maybe that one smells a little better than the real thing.

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I had a neighbor who had a pet skunk when I was in middle school (that would be the 70s:eek:)
    It had been "descented" by a vet but still had an odor. It lived in a hutch out in their backyard and wasn't particularly friendly.
    I do believe that here in CT it would be illegal to keep a wild animal as a pet. Even to rehabilitate an injured animal you're probably supposed to have a special license or something.

7. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I hate catchin pole cats,,its tough to "dispatch them",lol (us back wood hillbillies dont usually use that turm),,,but its tough to dispatch them without having them spray.with alot of practice one can do it though..[​IMG]

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i have caught 5 of the pole cats before and know how to realse them but since i have chickens im not sure if i need to realse it near by...

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Texaschickmama,
    Yes she does smell a bit better, but she sure can get into some trouble!

Lacy,
    As for the real skunk, maybe you could call a wildlife center and see what the rules are for your community. Don't know if you'll be able to ever cuddle with it unless you lose your sense of smell. [​IMG]

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    we live in the middle of nowere fla, and the wildlife people would laugh if i called them and told them my story. i will probably realse it tommarow night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by