I caught a SKUNK!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I didn't have time to check the trap this morning before work, which is what I normally do because even though I'm going to kill the varmits I don't want to make them suffer the afternoon heat in the trap.
    But I got off early, so around 1.30 I go out to check.

And this is what I caught:
    [​IMG]

Fortunately for me she was already dead. I don't really think it was all the brutally hot since it was cloudy and breezy (blowing up a thunderstorm) and the time between 10am when I normally check and 1.30pm isn't THAT long, so who knows what got her.
    OH well, can't be helped. At least I didn't have a live skunk to deal with [​IMG]

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Oh my gosh, we trapped one at our place last night too!! [​IMG] I took this pic with my cellphone since the batteries were dead in my camera, of course! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    wELL, at least you didn't have to deal with a live one..wonder what killed though. Either way, clean that trap good and set it again...

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:I'm noticing you kept your distance there...LOL...how did you get it out? i am curious?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

D'Angelo N Va. :

wELL, at least you didn't have to deal with a live one..wonder what killed though. Either way, clean that trap good and set it again...

Yeah I left it there for now coz I was in hubby's Explorer. Gonna have to come back with the pickup coz no way I'm haulin that thing off INSIDE the truck with me! [​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Pretty kitty [​IMG]

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:I'm noticing you kept your distance there...LOL...how did you get it out? i am curious?

Yeah, me and my 10yr old daughter didn't want to take any chances. The weird this is that it wasn't concerned with us, nor or chickens one tiny bit. I expected it to be snarling or something, but nothing. The chickens were checking it out, they were very curious, but cautious too. My hubby had a friend of his come over and shoot it through the trap wiring. It started flinching and then we smelled it! [​IMG] Funny thing is we didn't even smell it when I was taking the pic. [​IMG] It smells horrible around here now - I can't imagine if he had actually sprayed for real. Then we put in a trash bad and hauled it to the dump. Sure hope he doesn't have any brothers hanging around here - pee yew! [​IMG]

8. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Just a word of warning, be carefull when you unload the trap. The first one that I caught was in a foothold, I shot it from a bout 50 yds away then came back a couple hours later to empty the trap. It landed on my boot when I got it out of the trap, the oils from their body STINK. After stinking up 3 houses with my boots I decided that I better leave them outside for a couple weeks to air out [​IMG] So if you need to touch it wear gloves, or something that you can throw away

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh PHEW, I saw that title and thought that it may as well have been "So, I caught a tiger by the tail..."

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Nice![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by