1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I caught em!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Orpingtonman, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted last week about losing a layer in a particularly dispicable way. She was taken out a totally enclosed run and split from beak to vent in the ditch behind my house. So i got alot of suggestions about what it might be and all of them were good. So i did some investigating and stayed up for a couple of night and the culprit returned. A BIG FAT RACCON! needless to say that she never saw me as she walked on top of the coop, no doubt checking out which one she wanted next.

Long story short, after about 15 minutes of watchin him, he tried to peel back a corner of the run and i had to dispatch him where he stood. I hate doing that because he only know what instinct he has but he's not eating any more of my layers. Hopefully, no others will get the idea of coming back in. Might have to get another dog to make sure. thanks for all the help and if theres anything i can do for anybody on here, please feel free to ask.

Mike

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am so glad you caught the culprit, Mike! Congrats on your hunt!
    Patience and persistance pays off!! [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Excellent! [​IMG]

4. Orpingtonman

It took 2 days of waiting in the cold after dusk and he finally came around. Guess i'll go look for another dog at the pound today. At least if he doesn't run em off, at least another dog from the pound will have a good home

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Glad you got him. [​IMG]

6. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    Looks like its time to make a coon skin hat nice job.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Go you!

8. Orpingtonman

The way eggs and stuff is getting in the grocery stores, you got to protect what you have lol

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    good for you.... i have slept many nights outside on top of sheds (with a .22) waiting for chicken eating critters to show up...

10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

WTG! And I'm glad to hear you'll be giving some lucky pooch a nice home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by