1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I caught him loving the chickens!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Does anyone else have a DH, Fiancee, partner, or even child who does this?
    My Fiancee (Soon to be husband XD) claims that he hates the chickens...My Silkies, my Cochins, and even the Buff ladys. he claims that they are only good for eggs and eating...
    Yet I caught him...
    One of our Buff's is named Bug, she has a crooked comb and is the sweetest...
    One day I saw him going into the coop, I watched and moments later found him retreat from the coop with Bug in his arms.
    I was immediately worried that he had taken a liking to how fat she had gotten, and so I shot threw the house and and made a beeline for outside, thinking that he had gotten some idea that we were eating poor Bug for dinner.
    As I neared the coop, I realized he was heading for the garden...As I watched he gingerly held bug out and said, "Come on Bug, get the bug..." And right on Que, she started pecking the Japanese beetles from the leaves...
    I shouted what are you doing, and then like a child with his hand in the cookie jar he stared at me and yelled back "Its not what it looks like"
    Haha, i nearly died laughing, it turns out he has been doing this every morning before I wake up. He said that out of everyone my Silkie Stella, and Miss. Bug are the best bug eaters ever.
    Haha, he is the biggest lie'er ever XD He secretly loves the chickens [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I know what you mean. My hubby acts like the chickens are my pets but he was the one telling me to call the petsitter to make sure the chickens were okay. Hey, bud, what about my avians, dog and horses?

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    My kids look thru the tomatoes to pick off hornworms to hand feed the birds. weither it's because they love tomoatoes or chickens i couldn't tell you.

4. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Very cute. I have a husband that was so dead set against the chickens. He has warmed up and then some. Is building them a new coop without my asking him. Showed his friend the old coop as they checked for eggs on Saturday. Has only done what I asked like insulation of the roof, more ventilation and such and when I had surgery on my knee recently went out to water and feed them. That was as close to liking them that he has gotten. However, since starting to build the coop he has been sitting in the Chicken TV chairs and is starting to ask questions. Even helped me with a feather plucked pullet the other night. I think he may be coming to the dark side. [​IMG]

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    [​IMG]
    That's too good!
    "It's not what it looks like!" Riiiiight.
    My Dad hasn't been caught yet....he always walks by and says "Stupid chickens" when Mom and I are watching them or spoiling them.
    My boyfriend loves the birds, he believes they all need hugs. He especially loves breaking the broodies....just because they are less likely to fly away from his hugs and he gets to break them of being broody. Darn silkies and silkie mixes.
    He never had pets as a kid, so he's having his fun now. He loves them all.
    So I have one hater in the house and one lover (as far as the males go, all the women love the birds....although, I do have a friend who thinks they are cute, but she is deathly afraid of their feet?)
    At least he's a closet chicken lover and not one at all!
    My Dad can't even remember to shut up the coop at night if we aren't home...which makes us never want to leave.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Men you gotta love em! My husband is what I call rough around the edges, not preppy I guess. He talks to the birds like they are his babies. He didn't like them either until I hatched Sophie, and she is his. Kept her in the house for 4 months because he said the others pick on her. He calls her and she comes running!

That is funny that he does it before you wake up in the morning, lol.

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yup! I've got one of those. I've posted about him before. He pretends he doesn't like them, then digs up worms and calls them to come get it. He even takes trips out to the coop on his own, pretending he's going to look at the creek. Yesterday he even came back hholding Cleo, our OEGB and claimed she walked up to him and wanted him to pick her up to come hang out with us. Haha, funny men.

Of course, he has always been an animal lover and he is the caretaker of all of our wild birds and hummingbirds, faithfully filling their food/ sugar water at least 3 times a week, so it was just a matter of time before he came arouund on MY birds. He claims the chickens mean nothing to him, but he LOVES our ducks and pheasants. Yea right! He loves them all. What a good man!

You can always tell the character of a person by the way they treat animals.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    I caught my husband opening a cage and petting the baby rabbits today.
    He hates them he always says. hehehe sure you do~

Soon maybe he will at least tolerate the chickens? [​IMG]

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    My stepfather is like that with cats. He says he hates them and if going to leave if me or my mom ever brings another one home. He does not touch them at all in front of people, and will tip and chair completely over before he picks the cat up. He yells at them, and does know any of their names. I have never seen him be nice to them, but my mom says she sometimes catches him petting them when no one is looking.

10. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    My oldest daughters bf lives with his foster parents he was saying today he loves chickens and wants a couple bantams. They raised chickens before but no longer do it. Hub was talking to the kid today about chickens [​IMG] Think we are going to get a couple bantam babies in the spring if the bf is still around so he can have them here. I know are we suckers for this kid or what hes a great kid [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by