I caught it on video!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Sep 29, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    My girls were making a ton of noise this morning, so I grabbed my camera and went out to the hen house. I just wanted to film them fighting over the nests, but I actually caught my RIR in the act of laying!

You have to watch closely. The nest has one egg in it already (sister hen had just vacated the nest), and Rue popped out another. I actually heard it hit the hay! It was quite funny, and quite unexpected. It was the first time I've seen a hen lay.

2. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Great catch! Still waiting for my 21 weekers to start laying..... I'm so jealous! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    EXCELLENT VID!!!! LOVED IT!!

I think Clucky might need a newpaper. [​IMG]

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    [​IMG]
    That is very sweet! I love your nestboxes! Do you close them up at night to keep them from sleeping in there?

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    We loved the video. The kids especially. [​IMG]

6. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:Thank you. I haven't had to close them yet, because the girls always sleep on the roost. But if they do start to sleep in the nests, I'll start locking them out. I'm thinking of painting silly signs on the doors, like "Welcome" on one side and "No Room at the Inn" on the other. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by