I caught my pullet moving an egg (video)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PorkyPete, Sep 30, 2011.

1. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Yesterday I put in a third nesting box because three girls sharing one nesting box is difficult (They won't use any of the others [​IMG] ), Two of them squeezed in together yesterday to lay at the same time so I thought I would put in another to see if they would use it. Then I put the eggs that were laid that morning into the new one, Went out later that day to find one of the eggs had been moved back into their favourite box. I wasn't sure how she did it as I had never seen it for myself so naturally I came on BYC to do a search and didn't really find anything that showed how she would have done this, I also did a search on youtube but didn't manage to find anything, So this morning I put an egg back in the new one to catch whoever moved it and had the video camera ready, Went into the house for 1 minute to get some more feed and came back to the coop to find Dory moving the egg, Thought I would share it with you all [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    :thumbsupThat is so cool!

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow. I've heard about this but had no idea that they could do it so easily.

Thanks for sharing.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That's too neat!

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! That little turkey!!! My BA does the same thing! LOL! I always find EVERY egg in HER favorite nest after she lays! Now she is broody and she STILL steals all of them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Knew they were doing it, just never saw them do it. So glad somebody finally got a movie and a really good one too...what a little stinker! (she's beautiful, too)

7. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    OMG adorable!!!!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thats awesome!

9. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a beautiful hen, Chickens are very smart apparently [​IMG] despite what people say. i have never seen a hen do this either,
    I have heard of it, and known it to go on just not sure how, LOL.

She was saying " I want my egg in MY box, I'll show you where" [​IMG] NA NA NA Na NA Na ...Too cute

Thanks for sharing that

10. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    great video - thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by