I caught the (insert any choice curse word you like) raccoon!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kelly G, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

It killed 12 of my 15 chicks the other night. I have been raising chicks for three years now, and not had any loss of chicks due to predators....then this! I have 1" hardware cloth to keep the chicks safe...but the raccoon, appearantly, reached in and pulled the chicks through...piece by piece. It was a blood bath....and I was so angry!

We set up the trap last night, and I found her in the morning:

[​IMG]

I thought I'd want to kick this raccoon in the cage - really terrorize it like it did to my chicks...but instead I felt bad for her. She was so scared and vulnerable (like my chicks). We drove her about 5 miles away (across several highways).

Now I sit here...missing my chicks....and hoping the raccoon isn't too scared or hungry in an unfamiliar area. How can I be so conflicted about a pest that killed my chicks!

Here's the video of the release:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Sorry for your loss. I would have dispatched it if it killed that many.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    5 miles? NOT FAR ENOUGH......hope she doesn't find her way back....

I'm not gonna be so kind with the foxes that have killed our chickens...............................DEAD is what they are gonna be...

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I know...but we don't own a gun, and if it couldn't be quick & painless then it couldn't be done by us.

I sure hope she doesn't make it back. She won't go in that trap again...

5. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I could not have killed her either. They are just doing what they know to do. I would have probably called a friend to come get it and take care of it and not asked any questions. We used to have a pet coon. He stayed in the house til he was almost grown, then we let him go. He would come back early mornings to play in the yard with our dog. Then he just quit coming.............

Good luck

pam in TX

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Because it looks so sweet and innocent in the trap. Have you ever seen a cornered one? They are viscious. It would have been shot here.

7. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    It is amazing our emotions can creep up and get us! I, too, have a problem with knowing I have caused anything pain or suffering, but I also want to defend the defenseless. Knowing I have this weakness, I have many friends who would have taken that little chick killer and disposed of her 'right proper like' for me. There will be more right where she left off. Like someone had posted in another post, 'it's not like they're endangered'. It's a tough call. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to pretend to know what that feels like. I even had a friend who had a coon as a pet. Used to give it sugar cubes for fun. Just to watch it drop it in a pan of water to wash it... then when the sugar cube melted, the look on the coons face was priceless as it serched the pan for its prize. It stole every piece of silverware and anything shiny.

I had heard of stories where the coon reached right through the fencing and killed chickens.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would get a gun & reset your trap because where there's one there's more.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:amen! I m so sorry for your loss -we just went through this last week for the first time in 5 years! It sucks!!! We think the neighbors dogs did it-14 hens randomly killed in 45 minutes between Dh and I coming and going from home-blood and feathers everywhere! Keep resetting that trap and drive 10 miles-coons are known for traveling back at least 7 miles if not more to go back for food!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have caught my 3rd or 4th the other day.Have not checked this am. I think painting the back might be good if you relocate,so you can see if they come back.Mine won't be coming back except maybe that baby one! Those babies are darn cute even though I know they too can be out hunting with the group,and covered in the blood of my chickens.

Someone recommended the trap be set 24/7 and I would agree. I never would have thought I would catch so many animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by