I caught them at it this morning!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WiMoSiFr, Sep 29, 2010.

1. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    My son was playing in the chicken yard this morning, and I went in to check on him. I only counted 6 chickens and there should have been 7. (He leaves the gate open.) I only have 2 chickens laying right now, and one of my layers was hovering around the coop. So, I checked and the other layer was in the nest box! I hung around to see what exactly goes on since I haven't caught them laying yet. Also wanted to find out who's been laying the larger egg.

Even though I have 2 nest boxes, Francesca seemed to be waiting her turn. (I had to pull the straw out of one box this morning because a chicken roosted in there last night, and I guess she prefers the one with hay.) I stood back so as not to disturb Brunhilde, who was in the nest box. After a while, I heard a series of loud, strained purring sounds, and when she was done, she sang her egg song! [​IMG] I tried to get there quickly to see which egg she laid, but was too late! Francesca had already taken her place. She was much more quiet and finished more quickly, with no egg song. I'm guessing she laid the smaller egg. [​IMG] I've been collecting a large to extra large egg and a medium to small egg almost everyday. Yesterday, one was large and one was small, so I'm wondering if the small one might have been a pullet egg from one of my 17-18 week old pullets, and one of the hens took a day off. Hmmm, I hope I have some more layers soon!!

Anyway, I was just so happy to catch them laying and exhibiting some of the behaviors I've heard about on here that I had to share! Not too sure about the purring though. Anyone ever noticed this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think you are right... the one making the noise probably laid the larger egg.

I sometimes put my hand under them just at the right moment and catch the wet egg as it comes out.

3. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    I might have to try that catch the egg as it comes out thing. Right now I'm afraid I'd disturb them too much.

I am really pleased with Brunhilde. She is cross-beaked and was the last of 4 pullets to start laying. I was about to cull her, but she must known something was up, and now she's laying for her life!! She is a sweet hen too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by