I chased a Coyote

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cyprus, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Just about 20 minutes ago the scariest thing happened.
    I was lying in bed in the dark, on my phone. A high pitched shriek erupted from the blackness, to the right of my house. Followed quickly by another, then another, then another. In under 10 seconds the sound was unbearably loud and shrill. At least 4 distinct voices could be heard.
    Most of my family was awake and the house burst into noise as we all shot out of nowhere to the door that leads to our backyard.
    My dad went out with a flashlight while I fumbled with my shoes. He caught two gleaming sets of eyes in the beam. That's when I took off. I ran out, hissing and using colorful language. My dad and brother, both with flashlights, kept a visual on me and the coyote respectfully. By this point the female was gone. The male, however, held his ground and put himself up to face me. It wasn't until I was about 10 yards from him that he turned tail and ran.
    After that I jammed the chickens' door shut for good measure.

I've never been so stupid and ran so fast in my life. Could have gotten badly hurt, but my chickens mattered more.

2. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Crowing

Oct 18, 2018
    Go cyprus! But wow! That is scary. Glad your ok. And hopefully your birds.

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Wow!
    Closest I've come is going at a stray cat with a broom because it was about to fight our cat. I poked him with the bristle end of the broom and he did a backflip (entirely under his own power) and ran away.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    We do tend to "forget" dangers when protecting our "babies" :hugs Glad all's well and more so you weren't hurt. I'm sure your Dad & Brother were in shock watching you face off with the male. Should get a loud whistle or some tin cans with rocks in them to toss at the coyotes, be careful :hugs

puffypoo, The Phantom, Ribh and 2 others like this.
  5. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    I chased one a few years back. I was off from work (perks of being your own boss), I was still in my sweat pants and slippers, we had our birds free ranging, I walked out on the front porch in time to see a lone coyote chasing our birds I took off after him ran out of my slippers, almost ran out of my pants, chased him 200 yards total before he stopped and laid down in front of me about 10 feet away. I made my way back to the house ran our birds into the kitchen keeping an eye on him the whole time he never moved. Grabbed my rifle and burned him down. I thought I was the only idiot who chased coyotes glad I'm not alone. We should start a club the "coyote chasing idiots club". HAHA

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  6. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Exactly what I would have done. We have our shotgun ready. Next time that coyote stands still long enough for a shot, it will be his last.

7. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    You did good friend, you did good. I absolutely love the fact you didn't show fear or at least you didn't let it control you.

8. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Nice job! You sound just like me when something disturbs my birds. Most of the predators found by my birds at night will still be there in the morning.......
    ;)

puffypoo likes this.
  9. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    Wow! Fantastic. I chased a fox once screaming and trying to cut it with a shovel. I wanted it dead. But YIKES a COYOTE! They terrify me and I’m like half a world away

puffypoo likes this.
  10. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I think if you run at a solo coyote or a member of a pair in a tough enough manner, it'll be inclined to run. They're not terribly large. If it's a pack, though, going outside might give you bigger problems than defending your chickens.

Wolfefarmyard and puffypoo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: