I choose breeders from the same batch of hatchlings?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hope It, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hope It

Hope It Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Towns County, GA
    I'm raising my first batch of hatchlings (texas a&m's) and was going to select a male and a few females as my breeders to produce fertile eggs. Is it OK to select my breeder family out of this batch or would it be essentially breeding brothers and sisters???
    Or is a probability of the chicks being from the same male and female not that great? I bought 60 chicks from a breeder, so not sure...

Is it a better idea to get a male from somewhere else (completely unrelated)?

Thanks!
    Hope

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You'd be fine. Birds are much different from mammals.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bird genetics don't work that way. In the wild they can only seek a mate as far as they can fly. This is sometimes limited by many factors, so birds are almost able to self populate an area, with only a pair. I breed for color patterns and I inbreed on purpose sometime, I've never had an ill result because of it. Within reason your flock can tolerate inbreeding.

4. Hope It

Hope It Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Towns County, GA
    Thanks! I will of course refresh the stock with 'fresh blood' periodically, but just wanted to make sure it was OK to use the mail and few females from the same hatch batch.
    Anyway, Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by